Old December 17th 04, 05:11 PM
Paul Pichota

Default Searching simple opensource chess program

Hi there!

For a university project I want to compare different algorithms
(minimax, alpha-beta and some variants). So I am looking for rather
simple and working opensource program where I can easily exchange the
algorithms.
I have already tried GNU Chess but the search routine is rather complex
because of various prunings, heuristics etc.

Thank you,
Paul
Old December 18th 04, 12:30 AM
de

"Paul Pichota" wrote:

For a university project I want to compare different algorithms (minimax,
alpha-beta and some variants). So I am looking for rather simple and
working opensource program where I can easily exchange the algorithms.

What about the Crafty source code? It's not open source (in the GPL sense)
but source code is available (don't know how simple it is).

Old December 18th 04, 12:55 AM
fs

"de" wrote in message
"Paul Pichota" wrote:

For a university project I want to compare different algorithms

(minimax,
alpha-beta and some variants). So I am looking for rather simple and
working opensource program where I can easily exchange the algorithms.

What about the Crafty source code? It's not open source (in the GPL

sense)
but source code is available (don't know how simple it is).

maybe TCSP
http://home.comcast.net/~tckerrigan/

Old December 18th 04, 01:38 AM
none

Paul Pichota wrote:
Hi there!

For a university project I want to compare different algorithms
(minimax, alpha-beta and some variants). So I am looking for rather
simple and working opensource program where I can easily exchange the
algorithms.
I have already tried GNU Chess but the search routine is rather complex
because of various prunings, heuristics etc.

Thank you,
Paul

I suggest you give Omid David's Genesis program a try. It always you to
swap various searching algorithms in and out.

http://www.cs.biu.ac.il/~davoudo/genesis/index.html

Mondo

Old December 20th 04, 04:43 PM
Rémi

Paul Pichota wrote:
Hi there!

For a university project I want to compare different algorithms
(minimax, alpha-beta and some variants). So I am looking for rather
simple and working opensource program where I can easily exchange the
algorithms.
I have already tried GNU Chess but the search routine is rather complex
because of various prunings, heuristics etc.

Thank you,
Paul

TSCP is popular:
http://home.comcast.net/~tckerrigan/

I have also made another "simple" chess engine in C++, which you can
find in this archive:
http://remi.coulom.free.fr/programs0046.tar.gz

Rémi