Old December 29th 04, 04:20 AM
Mike Glover

Default Chessmaster 9000

Does Chessmaster actually run under Windows XP or must it be run on an
account with administrative priveleges?

--
Regards,
Mike

Old December 31st 04, 07:59 PM
Wilma

CM9k runs fine on my XP.
Wilma

"Mike Glover" wrote in news:ZfqAd.603421$nl.508752
@pd7tw3no:

Old December 31st 04, 10:36 PM
Mike Glover

Depends what your definition of fine is... There is no reason for CM9k to
have to run on an account with administrative priveleges.
Below is UbiSoft's lame response...

Subject
Can I run Chessmaster 9000 under a non admin account...

Discussion Thread
Response (Jesse) - 12/31/2004 12:25 PM
Mike,

Thank you for contacting Ubisoft Technical Support. Unfortunately not. You
must install Chessmaster 9000 from an administrator account and play it from
that same account.

What if I want to allow all the users on a home computer to play this game?
What if I want a 6 year old child to be able to play this game? Everyone
needs administrative access?

Auto-Response - 12/31/2004 12:17 PM
Title: In Windows XP, Can I Play Under a Non-Admin Account?
Link:
http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...ted=1041870167

Shame Ubisoft! You have lost another customer....

. 125.201...

Old January 1st 05, 06:26 PM
Wilma

That is one stinko rsponse, isn't it. Not unusual from companies. I have
an ordinary standalone that anybody can use. CM9k gives me no problems
of the sort you asked about. A six year old could climb through the
window, turn on my machine, and play Chessmaster 9000.

Wilma

"Mike Glover" wrote in
news:8wkBd.656920$%[email protected]:

[...]

bin/ubisoft.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.p
hp?p_faqid=1058&p_created=1041870167

Old January 10th 05, 05:22 PM
Dan Kalish

I think Ubisoft's policy is indicative of a cultural shortcoming. (Don't take
what I say too seriously, I'm not a terrorist or a wacko.)

In the United States, chess, when played by children, is a harmless game, like
hopscotch, rope jumping, tag, and tying your little sister up.

Its only when chess gets to grownups that it becomes a serious game, and
suitable for studying, using tools like computers and books.

So Ubisoft is saying only serious players should be using their game.

Another manifestation of this cultural shortcoming is when its compared to
Russia. The other day, I was in a Russian
bookstore, actually 3. I can read a little Russian so I thought this might
help my language skills and my chess ability. Each store had a significant
selection of chess books. Some of those books were for children. They had
rabbits, foxes and bears in them, kind of like the Grimm Brothers. This would
be inconceivable in America - children's chess books aren't children's books.
Another difference is that many children go to chess school after regular
school, the way children in America have piano or dance lessons.

Dan, relieved that the Encyclopedia of Modern Chess Opening is in English.

Subject: Sloppy coding practises by UbiSoft was: Chessmaster 9000

Old August 17th 05, 12:32 AM
The Man Behind The Curtain

Dan Kalish wrote:
I think Ubisoft's policy is indicative of a cultural shortcoming. (Don't take
what I say too seriously, I'm not a terrorist or a wacko.)

In the United States, chess, when played by children, is a harmless game, like
hopscotch, rope jumping, tag, and tying your little sister up.

Its only when chess gets to grownups that it becomes a serious game, and
suitable for studying, using tools like computers and books.

So Ubisoft is saying only serious players should be using their game.

Then why do they target much of the game at children, complete with
themed rooms and kiddie chess sets?

Another manifestation of this cultural shortcoming is when its compared to
Russia. The other day, I was in a Russian
bookstore, actually 3. I can read a little Russian so I thought this might
help my language skills and my chess ability. Each store had a significant
selection of chess books. Some of those books were for children. They had
rabbits, foxes and bears in them, kind of like the Grimm Brothers. This would
be inconceivable in America - children's chess books aren't children's books.

But again, Chessmaster does indeed depict chess this way for children.

Another difference is that many children go to chess school after regular
school, the way children in America have piano or dance lessons.

Chess is their national game. I don't know what ours is. Maybe pimping
your car...

Dan, relieved that the Encyclopedia of Modern Chess Opening is in English.

But does it contain rabbits and foxes?

John