Old December 31st 04, 11:14 AM
Spiderman

Default opening training with fritz 8

I am a little frustrated with the "opening training" function on Fritz
8. I wanted to train my Kings Gambit, so I clicked on "training" then
selected "Kings Gambit" as well as checking "detailed" and "learn
moves". The training began and after e4 e5 f4 pxp the training was
already over!! Surely the training book cannot be so tiny? The
opening tree is huge, why is the training engine so limited? Do they
expect me to enter manually all the variations of the Kings Gambit,
that might take years! What should I do? I thought this training
function was really powerful feature, but so far it appears to have no
practical use at all... the tree gives all the opening lines, the
trainer barely has any lines... am i missing the point? And yes, I do
have the fritz 8 engine properly loaded...

ideas?

spidey
Old December 31st 04, 11:44 AM
HD

Spiderman wrote:
I am a little frustrated with the "opening training" function on Fritz
8. I wanted to train my Kings Gambit, so I clicked on "training" then
selected "Kings Gambit" as well as checking "detailed" and "learn
moves". The training began and after e4 e5 f4 pxp the training was
already over!! Surely the training book cannot be so tiny? The
opening tree is huge, why is the training engine so limited? Do they
expect me to enter manually all the variations of the Kings Gambit,
that might take years! What should I do? I thought this training
function was really powerful feature, but so far it appears to have no
practical use at all... the tree gives all the opening lines, the
trainer barely has any lines... am i missing the point? And yes, I do
have the fritz 8 engine properly loaded...

ideas?

spidey

The initial base is very limited. The content can be found in
....(Programs\)Chessbase\Training\openings.cbh

The idea must be that the user him/herself creates expansions in the
openings of their own specific interest. And that's not so diffult, you
can seek out the proper variations in you DB, and prune to the point
very you want the training to begin, and save each game in the existing
openingtrainingbase, or create a new one and in 'option' make the ini
file point to it.
More info at Chessbase support (T-notes) 1 - 2 years back.

HD
Old December 31st 04, 12:08 PM
HD

Spiderman wrote:
I am a little frustrated with the "opening training" function on Fritz
8. I wanted to train my Kings Gambit, so I clicked on "training" then
selected "Kings Gambit" as well as checking "detailed" and "learn
moves". The training began and after e4 e5 f4 pxp the training was
already over!! Surely the training book cannot be so tiny? The
opening tree is huge, why is the training engine so limited? Do they
expect me to enter manually all the variations of the Kings Gambit,
that might take years! What should I do? I thought this training
function was really powerful feature, but so far it appears to have no
practical use at all... the tree gives all the opening lines, the
trainer barely has any lines... am i missing the point? And yes, I do
have the fritz 8 engine properly loaded...

ideas?

spidey

It wasn't the T-notes, but here's a link to some info:
http://chessbase.com/support/workshop.asp?ID=249

HD
Old December 31st 04, 02:47 PM
Junior Member

I bought shredder 8 fairly recently, and after hearing how chessbase products were "so much better" than the chessmaster series for serious chess players, I was disapointed to say the least. I got far more out of the chessmaster tutorials.

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD

Old December 31st 04, 05:31 PM
HD

jkplayschess wrote:
I bought shredder 8 fairly recently, and after hearing how chessbase
products were "so much better" than the chessmaster series for serious
chess players, I was disapointed to say the least. I got far more out
of the chessmaster tutorials.

Jason

Well, CM and the CB-programs are aimed at - very?! - different people.
With CB and the Fritz programs you do a lot of work yourself, and then
get it like you want. That's generally not for beginners.

HD

Old December 31st 04, 10:46 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD
jkplayschess wrote:
I bought shredder 8 fairly recently, and after hearing how chessbase
products were "so much better" than the chessmaster series for serious
chess players, I was disapointed to say the least. I got far more out
of the chessmaster tutorials.

Jason

Well, CM and the CB-programs are aimed at - very?! - different people.
With CB and the Fritz programs you do a lot of work yourself, and then
get it like you want. That's generally not for beginners.

HD
I've been playing chess many years, with an online rating of 1600+ on FICS at standard time controls. CM has an excellent database in which I can look up opening theory. CM's drill for practicing a variety of 3rd, and 4th opening moves gives good knowledge in a well rounded way. I'm not sure what major training tools for serious players CB has that CM doesn't? I think the lack of better tutorials, and poor handicapibility options for CB are major cons.

Jason