Old July 25th 03, 06:29 AM
mike and belinda

Default where can i get a good free chess engine?

im a computer newbie....and i just learned to play chess....all i want to do
is sit at home and play chess on my new first computer but im getting
sick of all the yahoo's at yahoo....and id like to play agaisnt a computer
sometimes

Old July 25th 03, 06:53 AM
Russell Reagan

"mike and belinda" wrote
im a computer newbie....and i just learned to play chess....all i want to

do
is sit at home and play chess on my new first computer but im getting
sick of all the yahoo's at yahoo....and id like to play agaisnt a computer
sometimes

Go he http://www.f11.parsimony.net/forum16635/

Use the little drop down box on the upper right portion of the screen that
says "Select Engine". Click one of the several hundred free engines that are
there and it will take you to a place where you can download it.

Old July 25th 03, 07:13 AM
Russell Reagan

"Euc1id" wrote

Be careful with that parsimony link. I went there, but maybe never again!?

simply tried to scroll the screen, and a zillion windows starting popping
up. It almost crashed my computer.

I have never had this happen once in the years that I have read the Winboard
forum.

Old July 25th 03, 09:08 AM
Harri Haanpaa

mike and belinda wrote:
im a computer newbie....and i just learned to play chess....all i want to do
is sit at home and play chess on my new first computer but im getting
sick of all the yahoo's at yahoo....and id like to play agaisnt a computer
sometimes

I would suggest that you install Winboard (assuming you use Windows) and
Crafty. You can then use Winboard to play against Crafty, and once you get
tired of getting beaten by it (as that's what happens when anyone but a
rather strong player plays a computer), you can also use Winboard to play on
FICS against other people or against computers.

Then there's a nice chess database application called Scid. You could use
it to store your games if you like, but maybe you don't need that for now.

http://www.tim-mann.org/xboard.html
http://www.tim-mann.org/crafty.html
http://www.freechess.org/
http://scid.sourceforge.net/

Winboard is a comparatively simple, if a bit primitive interface,
and to play on FICS you will have to learn certain commands that you
will have to type to the server. It's not that difficult, but it's not
just point and click either. I'd think it's worth it, though, as there
are not so many yahoos there.

Best regards,
Harri
Old July 25th 03, 02:35 PM
Aaron

"Russell Reagan" wrote in
. net:

"Euc1id" wrote

Be careful with that parsimony link. I went there, but maybe never
again!?

simply tried to scroll the screen, and a zillion windows starting
popping up. It almost crashed my computer.

I have never had this happen once in the years that I have read the
Winboard forum.

Neither have I.

Aaron
--
Want to learn how to use Winboard and the 150+ free Winboard
Chess engines?Visit http://www.aarontay.per.sg/Winboard/

Old July 25th 03, 03:16 PM
CeeBee

"mike and belinda" wrote

im a computer newbie....and i just learned to play chess....all i want
to do is sit at home and play chess on my new first computer but im
getting sick of all the yahoo's at yahoo....and id like to play
agaisnt a computer sometimes

http://www.reubold.onlinehome.de/

Der Bringer

with a nice unproblematic standalone GUI

--
CeeBee

Google CeeBee @ www.geocities.com/ceebee_2
Old July 25th 03, 07:15 PM
NetSock

Wow...there are quite a few...which is best (strongest)?

"Russell Reagan" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
"mike and belinda" wrote

Old July 25th 03, 08:02 PM
Russell Reagan

"NetSock" wrote

Wow...there are quite a few...which is best (strongest)?

Probably Ruffian.

Old July 25th 03, 10:53 PM
CeeBee

(George) wrote

Here is the BEST free CHESS ENGINE right now: REBEL 12 (DOS).
Download it from he
http://members.home.nl/matador/chess810.htm

FYI Rebel 12 (DOS) does not work under WinXP

ALso from: http://www.chess4less.com/ftpfile.htm download FRITZ 6
light.

AFAIK you can only play 26 moves against it, but sure there will be a
crack.

Old July 26th 03, 02:25 AM
WebWalker

On 25 Jul 2003 12:17:18 -0700, (George) wrote:

Here is the BEST free CHESS ENGINE right now: REBEL 12 (DOS).
Download it from he
http://members.home.nl/matador/chess810.htm

Funny, the zipped file size of Rebel 12 was reduced from 4.4mb to 1.4mb.

--
WebWalker

PGP Key ID : 0xB3F1A279