Old August 8th 03, 05:01 AM
Christopher

Default Crafty on Opteron

Hi!

I am preparing to compile crafty on an Opteron AMD board. Could
anyone suggest which OS I could use? I have W2K,XP,Linux RH9. I have
the MSVC++ or I could use gcc for Linux. Is there any significant
difference between which compiler I should use to obtain max
performance?

Also, if I use MSVC++ or gcc which package should I use that would
best support the 64 bit processor? Can I force the compiler to use
64bits which is referred to in the makefile? Will either compiler
work with it? I don't think that it will. I am thinking that MSVC++
will use a 32bit architecture.

If this is the case could someone suggest a good compiler to compile
on a 64bit machine(Opteron) and suggest the OS. I'd really like to
begin trying something like gcc if something exist for the Opteron to
test with to verify performance gain before forking outs lots of
money.

Thanks for any advice.