Old August 9th 03, 05:16 AM
Ari Makela

Default I Love Scid!!!

In article , Muggs wrote:

1. Let's say I'm black, and Scid tells me that in a certain position, that
there is a score of -3.47.
I'm black so that's good, but -3.47 what??? Pawns, inches, miles,
ice-cream sandwiches?

Pawns.

It's funny, the one that's free is the one I would pay for!

If you really want to play for open source software authors are likely
to accept.

--
Ari Makela http://arska.org/hauva/

"Deux fous gagnent toujours, mais trois fous, non!" - Alexander Alekhine

Old August 9th 03, 09:22 AM
Jan Leffers

"Muggs" skrev i en meddelelse
Well, I found what I was looking for. SCID
I can analyze my OTB games with, and see where I screwed up, even in games
that I won, and thought that I did pretty well, Scid showed me where I

could
have mated earlier, or where I might have blundered.

So, anyway... A few questions:

1. Let's say I'm black, and Scid tells me that in a certain position, that
there is a score of -3.47.
I'm black so that's good, but -3.47 what??? Pawns, inches, miles,
ice-cream sandwiches?
2. On the Scid web site Shane say's that "The reference database files are
currently not available".
does anyone have a large database for Scid, or could someone point me

in
the right direction?

Just download a large collection of games in pgn-format and convert it to
Scid-format.
Have a look at http://www-user.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~balzer/chessgames.html

Regards
Jan Leffers

It's funny, the one that's free is the one I would pay for!

TIA,
Muggs

Old August 9th 03, 09:40 AM
Kym

Scid needs an enginbe, which engine?
Crafty, Ruffian?
3.4 pawns. (Usualy measurement)

Old August 10th 03, 09:57 AM
ChessliB

"Muggs" wrote in message
Well, I found what I was looking for. SCID
I can analyze my OTB games with, and see where I screwed up, even in games
that I won, and thought that I did pretty well, Scid showed me where I

could
have mated earlier, or where I might have blundered.

So, anyway... A few questions:

1. Let's say I'm black, and Scid tells me that in a certain position, that
there is a score of -3.47.
I'm black so that's good, but -3.47 what??? Pawns, inches, miles,

-3,47 pawns

ice-cream sandwiches?
2. On the Scid web site Shane say's that "The reference database files are
currently not available".
does anyone have a large database for Scid, or could someone point me

in
the right direction?

Download any PGN-database - open a new Scid-database and import the
PGN-file; there is a free PGN-database, 2.5 mill games, at
www.chesslib.no

It's funny, the one that's free is the one I would pay for!

TIA,
Muggs

-af-
www.chesslib.no

Old August 10th 03, 08:03 PM
Muggs

Thanks to all of you kind peeps!

I figured that it was pawns, I really didn't think it was icecream sanwiches
;^)
Also, after I posted I did notice the comment about donations.

Thanks again,
Muggs

"ChessliB" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

Old August 12th 03, 12:48 AM
Mhoulsby

"Deux fous gagnent toujours, mais trois fous, non!" - Alexander Alekhine

"Pas si les deux fous occupent, par example, a1 et b2!" - Mark Houlsby