Old August 11th 03, 07:32 PM
henri Arsenault

Default Fritz 8 learning tool on Chessbase

Chessbase has a new article on using Fritz8 as a teaching tool, vaunting
its various levels of play etc, and claiming that it is better than
Chessmaster for weak playing levels.

Now I love Fritz and I wold choose it over any other chess program if I
could choose only one, but one should note that the author of this
article says that he has a rating of 900 (!), which rather limits his
ability to judge how the program plays against an average player of
1500, not to mention players just below expert level.

As one who has both Fritz8 and chessmater 9000, it is my opinion that
for weak opponents, Chessmaster is superior to Fritz, who plays like a
grandmaster who makes occasional horrible blunders (this may be a bit of
an exageration, but you get the idea).

I have stated before that in my view, Fritz is much superior for
analysis, and Chessmaster is superior for playing against human-like
opponents. In addition, Chessmaster's tutorials are very useful for
learning - the weaker the player the better.

You are free to disagree, but I thought I would point this out for
people who may not be familiar with both programs and who do not follow
this forum regularly.

Henri