Old August 11th 03, 10:23 PM
Mike Ogush

Default Chessbase Question

On 8 Aug 2003 11:27:20 -0700, (dan foley) wrote:

I just got chessbase and have been figuring out how to use it. I'm
hoping someone can answer this question for me.

I figured out how to examine only games with a certain material
imbalance - say two rooks v. 3 minor pieces for example. I program
it to say white has exactly 2 rooks, black has exactly 3 minors, and
then tell it to ignore colors. I figured out how to make that
imbalance last for different 'ply's too.

But when I ask for statistics, and it says percentages, I can't figure
out what they represent. Is it saying that in games with 2 rooks vs.
3 minors, white wins x%, black x%, regardless of WHO has the rooks and
who has the minors?

Yes. What you want to do is create two separate game lists - one with
white having the rooks and the other with black. Then run statistics
on each and manually integrate the results.

How can I be sure it's really saying that the
ROOKS win x%, the minors win y%? I have the same question with
players. If I look at all one player's games, and ask for statistics,
what am I getting? An assessment of which COLOR wins when GM X was
one of the opponents, or am I getting what GM X's winning percentage
was?

What you get is the perecentage of white wins. To find a GM's
percentage create two lists of their games - one with white and one
with black. Run statists on both and integrate manually.

Thanks,
Dan Foley

Mike Ogush