Old August 12th 03, 02:18 PM
Fight Cancer

Default SSDF Ratings - What's going on?

IMO, the SSDF endeavor is awesome. Every time I look at the newest
issue or posting, my mind drowns in a sea of questions to which I've
never found answers. For any report, be it a scientific experiment or
otherwise, it woudl be nice to know how the testing was done. A basic
explanation would be nice, and "the more the better."

I recently email Mr. Karlsson )
who is responsible for the SSDF ratings list. Here are some
questions.

Why isn't Chessmaster 8000 with 256 MB on the list?
Why isn't Chessmaster 9000 on the list at all?
Are the PC's used to test multiprocessor chess engines (e.g. Crafty,
Deep Junior, Deep Fritz, etc.) using more than one processor?
Are endgame tablebases used in these games?
Are opening books used?
How are games handled between 2 chess engines?
What are the time controls for the games being played?
Any thoughts on adding a FAQ to the SSDF site?

I just think it would be appropriate to know how he arrived at these
conclusions, er... ratings.
TIA,

Fight cancer with your computer!
http://members.cox.net/fightcancer/
Old August 13th 03, 09:07 PM
henri Arsenault

In article ,
Fight Cancer wrote:

I recently email Mr. Karlsson )
who is responsible for the SSDF ratings list. Here are some
questions.

Why isn't Chessmaster 8000 with 256 MB on the list?
Why isn't Chessmaster 9000 on the list at all?

To be on the list, a computer has to have played a minimum number of
slow games (250, I think). it takes a while for new programs to make the
list. Chessmaster should appear eventually.

The more powerful progams are tested on more powerful computers (whose
availability is presumably limited), so the list isn't quite fair for
middle-of-the-road programs playing on slower computers - although the
list gives a fair idea.

Henri
Old August 14th 03, 06:49 AM
Fight Cancer

I'm just curious if ANYONE knows what's going on to get these ratings.