Old August 13th 03, 03:18 AM
c4b4e4

Default Maxed out CPU usage when running Hiarcs 8

Why would the CPU usage always show 100% when playing against or analyzing
with H8? I have set the hashtables down to 65MB (so as to play blitz), but
it runs 100% all the time. The hard drive makes alot of noise during it's
usage-- soon as I close it, the HD quietens back down to normal. Strange.

Old August 13th 03, 12:20 PM
c4b4e4

"Damir Ulovec" wrote in message
For CPU usage - it's pretty normal... Fir HDD noise, well how much of RAM

do you
have? Maybe you must upgrade it? Generally, I think that is not necessary

give him so much hash in blitz... Probably 16, or even 8 MB's of RAM will

be
enough.

It's a Wintel P4 with 512 MB running XP Home... I'll try reducing the hash
tables some more... my system will lock up with that maxed out CPU usage and
the screen saver trying to kick in-- evidently, you can't put it in infinite
analysis and just walk away ( without turning off the screen saver first, I
guess).

Old August 13th 03, 04:25 PM
c4b4e4

"Anders Thulin" wrote in message

c4b4e4 wrote:

Why would the CPU usage always show 100% when playing against or

analyzing
with H8?

Why should it show anything else?

Perhaps it shouldn't --- but with the screen saver activated and H8 in
infinite analysis mode, the PC will lock up-- seems like that shouldn't
happen.

Also, I would think you should be able to surf while H8 is analyzing-- I
remember Dan Heisman doing this while doing some instruction on ICC.

But, I could certainly be wrong on this! {:-)

Old August 16th 03, 12:02 AM
Martin Andersen

c4b4e4 wrote:

It's a Wintel P4 with 512 MB running XP Home... I'll try reducing the hash
tables some more... my system will lock up with that maxed out CPU usage
and the screen saver trying to kick in-- evidently, you can't put it in
infinite analysis and just walk away ( without turning off the screen
saver first, I guess).

Something is wrong, of course, it shouldn't lock up. Having a chessprogram
running will stress the system a lot, so it could be a heat problem.
Is there an adequate air-flow in the case ? Have you overclocked the
cpu ? If so, set the cpu-speed to default and try again.

Martin.
Old August 19th 03, 08:22 PM
Thomas T. Veldhouse

"c4b4e4" wrote in message

It's a Wintel P4 with 512 MB running XP Home... I'll try reducing the hash
tables some more... my system will lock up with that maxed out CPU usage

and
the screen saver trying to kick in-- evidently, you can't put it in

infinite
analysis and just walk away ( without turning off the screen saver first,

guess).

Usually, it appears locked up, but if you press Ctrl-Alt-Del, you should be
able to click cancel and get back to your desktop. If you are running an
OpenGL screensaver and it locks up [for real], then you might want to look
at not using an OpenGL screen saver. Those things are CPU intensive and
compete for cycles. If your machine is locking up, you have one of three
likely problems. Overheating, bad memory or bad CPU.

Tom Veldhouse