Old August 14th 03, 09:47 PM
c4b4e4

Default Chessbase engines-- any noticeable differences between any of them?

I have Hiarcs 8, Fritz 8, and Shredder7 and I'm wondering if there is
anything radically different in Junior 8 that would justify buying it.
Comments on these programs welcomed.

Old August 14th 03, 11:45 PM
Russell Reagan

"c4b4e4" wrote

I have Hiarcs 8, Fritz 8, and Shredder7 and I'm wondering if there is
anything radically different in Junior 8 that would justify buying it.
Comments on these programs welcomed.

I don't have Junior myself, but I have seen it play many games, and it has
the reputation of placing more emphasis on dynamics such as piece activity,
mobility, piece coordination, and so on. I don't know that those are the
exact features that it thinks are important, but those are the *kinds* of
things it "likes". For instance, I think Junior would be more willing to
sacrifice a pawn for better piece activity or for a lead in development.
Whether or not that makes it worth buying is up to you though.

Old August 15th 03, 07:56 AM
jabba2000ad

"c4b4e4" wrote in message . ..
I have Hiarcs 8, Fritz 8, and Shredder7 and I'm wondering if there is
anything radically different in Junior 8 that would justify buying it.
Comments on these programs welcomed.

I have Fritz 7 and Junior 8.

As a 1400 player, I can't specify what the differences are in terms of
syle, however, they do often choose different moves... I bought the
Fritz technique trainer, and they play the positions very differently.

So I guess if you are stronger than me and can make use of the
different styles it would be worth the money.

The one thing that did convince me to get Junior 8 in the first place
was Bxh2 in the Kasparov match!

Not much help I guess...

Regards,

Jabba
Old August 15th 03, 10:42 AM
c4b4e4

I have Fritz 7 and Junior 8.

As a 1400 player, I can't specify what the differences are in terms of
syle, however, they do often choose different moves... I bought the
Fritz technique trainer, and they play the positions very differently.

So I guess if you are stronger than me and can make use of the
different styles it would be worth the money.

The one thing that did convince me to get Junior 8 in the first place
was Bxh2 in the Kasparov match!

Not much help I guess...

Regards,

Jabba

Actually, you were right on the money with the Bxh2 comment-- that has to
make J8 worth buying after seeing that stunning move unleashed on GK!

I have Hiarcs 8 and Fritz 8, so the comparisons should be quite interesting.

Old August 17th 03, 10:09 PM
Fight Cancer

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 05:42:22 -0400, "c4b4e4"
wrote:

Actually, you were right on the money with the Bxh2 comment-- that has to
make J8 worth buying after seeing that stunning move unleashed on GK!

I'll have to go watch that game. which one is it again?

Fight cancer with your computer!
http://members.cox.net/fightcancer/