Old August 15th 03, 01:24 AM
Pete Fakus

Default Tungsten T2 or HP 1940. Which is better just for playing chess?

Hello,

I am thinking already for weaks which PDA I am going
to buy. Main purpose is to play chess. On the road, on my couch
and at th park. I am a round-about-1700-player.
Important is IMHO a very good display. Therefore I put the both
in the shortlist. They have great displays. I think that the T2
has a superior display because of the higher resolution on less space.
How looks i.e. Chess Genius or Chess Tiger on a Hires Palm (I couldnt
find any screenshot in the net)?

I would like to use the PDA also for other purposes. But I dont
find any usage. PIM is done with my cell phone and thats it. And
just for playing chess both are a little too expensive. Cheaper Palms
oder Pocket PC have usually inferior displays (concerning brightness).

Any experiences? Some are saying that the palms are little more
responsive in the overall feeling. And PPC has faster CPUs (but does
anybody need this extra speed?)

Thanks in advance. I know that this question has been asked in variations
many times (which software, etc.). I am really interested in the platform
question. Which is more comfortable just for playing chess.
Tungsten T2 or HP1940? Bluetooth should gurantee Internet support for the
future, if there is someday a online pda chess platform.

Best regards,
p2f
Old August 15th 03, 11:56 PM
Matthew

Hi Pete:
I have never used the Tungsten T2, but do own the Ipaq h1940. Here are a few
of the differences:
Ipaq Tungsten T2
266mhz processor 144 mhz processor
64 megs ram 32 megs ram
Mobile Pocket Palm OS
2003 os

I had orginally checked out Palm and Pocket PC web sites to see which I
wanted to buy. I finally decided the only way to decide was just to go to
the store (bestbuy) and try out both to see which I liked the best. The
programs on the Pocket PC just seemed to be higher quality. I enjoy playing
chess on mine, and the graphics are great. I can't vouch for the rating of
the 1940 (My rating is lower than yours). I especially like the Pocket
Chesspartner 1.0 graphics (when the option for colored pieces is checked). I
have heard thought that the Pocket Fritz 2.0 is the best and it is only
available on the pocketpc, not the palm. Matthew
om...

Old August 16th 03, 12:46 PM
Anthony Schleizer

I have been using Palms for a few years now and have been using Palm
Genius and Palm Tiger. They are both nice, but Palm Tiger is definitely
the better program. The bad thing about both programs is that they have
relatively small opening books and you cannot use them as database tools
by loading multi-game PGN files into them. As for rating, I think Palm
Genius is about 2000 USCF and Palm Tiger is about 2200 USCF.

When my first Palm broke down, I started using my wife IPAQ and got
Pocket Grandmaster for it. An amazing program. Great playing strength
(close to Pocket Fritz from what I've read) and you can also load PGN
files into it for viewing and thus use it as a database. The filter for
the PGN files is pretty good too. I would normally try to break things
down by year, e.g. Alekhine games from 1920-1925, to keep the list to a
reasonable size. I think the strength of Pocket Grandmaster is about
2400 USCF.

I am back to using a Palm these days simply b/c I like the OS better and
only the machine for chess when I am waiting around for an
appointment. If you are really just going to use this for chess, I would
definitely go with an IPAQ or Axim or whatever and get Pocket Fritz or
Pocket Grandmaster b/c of the better playing strength and database
utilities.

Regards,

Tony

Old August 17th 03, 09:42 AM