Old August 19th 03, 01:42 AM
raylopez99

Default 64 bit computer chess program?

From the NY Times tech section today. I wonder whether there will be a
64 bit chess playing program soon--with 64 squares, you can have one
bit per square and really do some fast assembly language type
programming.

RL

"But beyond the predictable costs and performance benefits, if 64-bit
computing follows the PC's historical patterns, this migration may
bring a surprise or two.

Mr. Heye predicts: "There are two 22-year-olds in a garage somewhere
creating some piece of software with a 64-bit computer that we are all
going to want."
Old August 19th 03, 04:39 AM
Frank Andreas de Groot

"Gian-Carlo Pascutto" wrote in message ...
"raylopez99" wrote in message
m...
From the NY Times tech section today. I wonder whether there will be a 64 bit chess playing program soon--with 64 squares,
you can have one bit per square and really do some fast assembly language type programming.

This has already been used for a while. You can do it even with a 32 bit CPU, just work on the two half board.
But obviously, a real 64 bit CPU will do it faster.

I use 64-bit assembly (MMX) to have very fast bitboards on my Go program:
http://www.zenhacker.com/

So any ordinary Pentium will let you do full 64-bit on real 64-bit registers, and the speedup can be enormous,
as opposed to 32-bit. I need seven 64-bit registers for a 19x19 board.
The disadvantage of MMX is the context switching (emms), but Athlon has less penalty with that.
And I am not sure about the transfer speeds from memory in case of loading values from mamory into 64-bit registers,
perhaps an Opteron (AMD64) will do that faster?

Old August 19th 03, 06:31 PM
Frank Andreas de Groot

"Gian-Carlo Pascutto" wrote in message ...

AMD64 has neither problem.

MMX has been used in chessprograms to handle 64 bit operations,
but the Opterons with real 64 bit are WAY faster.

Thanks for clarifying. I am very excited about AMD64 and am sure some programs will benefit tremendously (it's a big mistake to
think that the only advantage 64-bit offers is larger addressable memory space).
BTW my bitboard operations do not need to branch, so I guess MMX is still a pretty good solution in my case.