Old July 17th 05, 09:15 AM
phillip

Default Chessmaster 10th

I know a lot of you hate Chessmaster but I like it. the only problem I have
with it is that it is a total hog on my PC resources. I am running XP on a
Pentium 2.19 GHz with 512 MB RAM. The PC is not the fastest but it should be
able to run this program fine.

Any advice on making Chessmaster run better? MY CPU is pegged at 99% the
whole time it is running.

Old July 17th 05, 06:53 PM
LSD

"phillip" wrote in message
I know a lot of you hate Chessmaster but I like it. the only problem I have
with it is that it is a total hog on my PC resources. I am running XP on a
Pentium 2.19 GHz with 512 MB RAM. The PC is not the fastest but it should be
able to run this program fine.

Any advice on making Chessmaster run better? MY CPU is pegged at 99% the
whole time it is running.

Go to Preferences -- Engine... and play with Transposition Memory and Priority
settings.

Alternatively, hit Crtl + Alt + Delete, -- Task Manager and limit the priority
of: game.exe and (if you mentor) TheKing.exe.

I would try the settings in CM10 first.

Where CM has an advantage is it's great selection of AI opponents.
Personalities are diverse and more playable than Fritz. However in terms of
analyzing positions and annotating yours and others' games (which you gotta do
if you want to improve) Fritz and Chessbase progs are far superior.

Good luck

Old July 17th 05, 07:38 PM
TC

"LSD" wrote in message
"phillip" wrote in message
[...]

Just curious...can you briefly explain what advantages Fritz and Chessbase
have over CM 10 when it comes to analyzing positions? I appreciate
it....thanks.

Old July 17th 05, 07:41 PM

Your CPU will ALWAYS be pegged while a chess engine is running in
Chessmaster (or, for that matter, with ANY chess program). The whole
point of the chess engine playing as strongly as possible is that it
takes every bit of your CPU that you (or Windows) will give it.

So, even if you turn off all other programs, or even get a faster CPU,
Chessmaster (or, more specifically, The King engine) will always take
as much CPU as it can get.

jm

Old July 18th 05, 04:10 AM
LSD

"TC" wrote in message

"LSD" wrote in message
"phillip" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah for sure...

Well for starters you have more control over the amount of memory dedicated to
engine use, and you can switch between engines (Fritz 8, Junior, Deep Junior,
etc). You can run more than and let them analyze the position simultaneoulsy
-- though you won't be using your computer for anything else!

Another important feature is you can "lock" the engine into analyzing one
particular position and still move through the moves in the game. With
ChessMaster, if you go back or forward a move, the "mentor lines" start over. I
also find if you switch focus away from CM10 and the go back to it, the mentor
lines reset and the calculations start from scratch.

Also, let's say you come upon a position that you really want to study
carefully, and in fact want to see what human masters and grandmasters have done
in it. With Chessbase products you can cross-reference any position you wish
against any database of games you select (Chessbase 9 comes with a database that
has literally millions of games; many other databases are available lots of
places online for downloading).

Trying to add, manipulate and erase variations in Chessmaster is tedious. When
you're using CM ever wish you could enter a variation and then write annotations
to it? How about creating variations within a variation? Chessbase products
are built for precisely that sort of indepth analysis.

Most important for my purposes, the annotation options are greater. As I hear
it, to get better you have to go back over your games, and reconsider each move,
and write down just about everything you can think of. Chessbase products allow
for better, more professional annotations, plus it gives you the option to
place text before or after the move under discussion.

Also, you can also click on a pgn and it will automatically fire up Chessbase
and the pgn will load and you're ready to go.

That was off the top of my head. There's probably more.

I'll say it like this: I have CM10, Fritz 8, and Chessbase 9 and previous
editions of all three.

Without doubt CM10 has the prettiest chessboards. Like I said earlier it also
has the most interesting, diverse, and playable opponents. -- Playing Fritz 8
is either too hard, or blunderously stupid. So when I want AI competition I
play CM10 opponents.

However, when I finish a rated game in CM10, I shut that prog down and analyse
the game with the tools in Chessbase 9. In my less than humble opinion,
Chessbase and Fritz provide superior tools and interface for the analysis-part
of playing and learning chess.

Sorry, you said "briefly" explain, didn't you?

LSD

Old July 18th 05, 04:42 AM
Inconnux

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 02:15:37 -0600, "phillip"
wrote:

I know a lot of you hate Chessmaster but I like it. the only problem I have
with it is that it is a total hog on my PC resources. I am running XP on a
Pentium 2.19 GHz with 512 MB RAM. The PC is not the fastest but it should be
able to run this program fine.

Any advice on making Chessmaster run better? MY CPU is pegged at 99% the
whole time it is running.

not all of us hate chessmaster..

I believe that CM10 is the best all around chess training software for
beginners (like me). The tutorials are worth the purchase price
alone.

As for it pegged at 99%, all chess programs grab as much cpu power as
possible

J.Lohner

Old July 18th 05, 06:56 AM
HD

LSD wrote:

That was off the top of my head. There's probably more.

Yes, the automated ones (in chessprogram8): Blundecheck, Full analysis,
Compare analysis and Deep position analysis, which all use a preset of
time or depth.

And more to come, they say.

LSD

Old July 18th 05, 12:54 PM
TC

"LSD" wrote in message
.. .

"TC" wrote in message

"LSD" wrote in message
"phillip" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond, and I do appreciate the
details.

Old July 18th 05, 07:00 PM

I also find if you switch focus away from CM10 and the go back to it,
the mentor lines reset and the calculations start from scratch.

This should only be true if you MINIMIZE Chessmaster. If you just
ALT+TAB between programs, the calculations should continue.

jm

Old July 19th 05, 02:08 PM
David Richerby

LSD wrote:
Another important feature is you can "lock" the engine into analyzing
one particular position and still move through the moves in the game.

*ears prick up* Can Fritz do that or just ChessBase? If Fritz can, how?

Dave.

--
David Richerby Portable Carnivorous Cat (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like a cuddly pet but it eats flesh