Old July 19th 05, 12:46 AM

Default What new analysis features in Fritz 9?

I'm intrigued to hear Chessbase will be incorporating new "analysis"
features in it's Fritz line of chess playing programs. I think this is
a welcome development because I find it's current set of analysis
tools to be very limited.

It would be interesting to hear what kind of features will be included
in this Oct release.

Personally, I would LOVE to see several new additions:

1. Analysis board should not let variations created with usage to
disappear when board is turned off. These variations should be
incorporated into the main game.

2. What is the purpose of the Analysis shootout feature? I use the
Theme Blitz option combined with Engine matches to get best results.

3. Variations shouldn't cause main game move notation to become bold.
This is not correct. Variations should automatically change color with
depth level of analysis. Currently all variations are defaulted to
black....which makes no sense when main move notiation color is
already black.

4. I'm praying for bookmark spot feature for analysis. You "mark"
certain positions in the main game to be analyzed by the engine...and
the engine immediately bypasses the rest of the notation and does
infinite analysis on selected board positions. This would save alot of
time. This is currently available in Chess Assistant 8.01.

5. I hope the Chessbase overview feature is included. It would be nice
to simply press the O key and see an overview of the game in question
before opening the game.

6. Must allow reading and saving EPD files. This is CRITICAL. I cannot
believe Chessbase was sleeping at the helm on this one. One's got to
be able to create databases of positions in EPD format so it's a snap
to find certain positions for later analysis. Or simply opening them
up in Fritz to play later on.

7. Opening Variation Creator. This would be great...being able to add
your favorite line in a certain opeing and Chessbase Fritz
automatically sorts out the moves according to opening key.

8. Game duplicator deletion option should be included in Fritz playing
line. This shouldn't only be Chessbase 9's strong suit. Put it in
Fritz as well.

9. Opponent personality options should be improved to allow one to use
different opening books to create different opponents similar to
ChessMaster.

10. Direct copy and paste from the notation board would be nice.
Old July 19th 05, 10:31 AM
HD

A few comments:

wrote:
I'm intrigued to hear Chessbase will be incorporating new "analysis"
features in it's Fritz line of chess playing programs. I think this is
a welcome development because I find it's current set of analysis
tools to be very limited.

Very limited? I disagree, but of course there's a lot of room for
improvements of the existing ones, implementation of new ones.

It would be interesting to hear what kind of features will be included
in this Oct release.

Personally, I would LOVE to see several new additions:

1. Analysis board should not let variations created with usage to
disappear when board is turned off. These variations should be
incorporated into the main game.

See
http://chessbase.com/support/support.asp?pid=186

2. What is the purpose of the Analysis shootout feature? I use the
Theme Blitz option combined with Engine matches to get best results.

Shootout allows an engine to play itself from the boardposition (The
engine-match feature was supposed to let an engine play mathtes against
itself, but has never worked).

3. Variations shouldn't cause main game move notation to become bold.
This is not correct. Variations should automatically change color with
depth level of analysis. Currently all variations are defaulted to
black....which makes no sense when main move notiation color is
already black.

When you have very dense variations it helps to identify the mainline.
You can change the color of any variation (or for that sake, the
mainline) by right-clicking and choose 'variation color'. I've made a
key-shortcut, use a personal color-coding to quickly identify different
kinds of positions.

4. I'm praying for bookmark spot feature for analysis. You "mark"
certain positions in the main game to be analyzed by the engine...and
the engine immediately bypasses the rest of the notation and does
infinite analysis on selected board positions. This would save alot of
time. This is currently available in Chess Assistant 8.01.

I don't believe it's impossible that some new "batch"-features is
included - and would be a very logical, and usefull step to take.

5. I hope the Chessbase overview feature is included. It would be nice
to simply press the O key and see an overview of the game in question
before opening the game.

They probably wont change much in DB-managent system (but who knows?).
Unlike CA, Chessbase has two main-products to sell.

6. Must allow reading and saving EPD files. This is CRITICAL. I cannot
believe Chessbase was sleeping at the helm on this one. One's got to
be able to create databases of positions in EPD format so it's a snap
to find certain positions for later analysis. Or simply opening them
up in Fritz to play later on.

Let's see...

7. Opening Variation Creator. This would be great...being able to add
your favorite line in a certain opeing and Chessbase Fritz
automatically sorts out the moves according to opening key.

Again, creating keys is only possible in Chessbase (and again: two
products).

8. Game duplicator deletion option should be included in Fritz playing
line. This shouldn't only be Chessbase 9's strong suit. Put it in
Fritz as well.

Agree, but see the note to the DB-management system.

9. Opponent personality options should be improved to allow one to use
different opening books to create different opponents similar to
ChessMaster.

10. Direct copy and paste from the notation board would be nice.

Well, yes, and so would copy/paste and drag&drop of games/variations
directly into an openingbook.

And so on...
Old July 19th 05, 02:28 PM
David Richerby

3. Variations shouldn't cause main game move notation to become bold.
This is not correct.

What do you mean `not correct'? Surely this is entirely subjective?
Personally, I find it visually appealing and helpful to understanding but,
since it seems that you don't, this should be a configuration option.
And I find multicoloured things to be very distracting and turn them off
as soon as possible. (For example, my code editing setup uses only three
colours on a black background: white for ordinary code, red for comments
and blue for string literals.)

I note that every chess book I have either

i) Has the main line tabulated like a scoresheet (usually in boldface)
and has variations in ordinary-weight running text; or

ii) Has the main line in boldface running text and the variations in
ordinary-weight running text (usually with variations in separate
paragraphs).

So Fritz appears to be entirely consistent with common chess publishing
practice here.

Dave.
--
David Richerby Salted Postman (TM): it's like a man
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ who delivers the mail but it's covered