Old July 19th 05, 10:37 PM
Hello

Default FEN, PGN, etc. source code.

I'm an old chess programmer. I probably wrote my first one nearly 20 years
ago. (My first attempt was in BASIC in 82. Needless to say, that project
was not successfull....[grin] Chess programming got put on hold until I got
a compiler.)

Then, over the next 5 years or so, I wrote a variety of programs. Most of
them heavily influenced by John Stanback's SCP program. (He was nice enough
to actually postal mail me a printout of it.)

After a long break, I've decided to re-enter chess programming. I know I
can't do as well as what many authors can do, but that's okay.

Does anybody know of any free, open source (preferably NON-gpl) libraries or
example code for reading and writing FEN, PGN, tablebases, etc.?

I can do these myself, of course.

But I figured working code is likely to be better tested and better able to
handle buggy input.

Old July 21st 05, 01:15 AM
Tony M

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 16:37:29 -0500, "Hello" wrote:

[...]

Take a look at Crafty's source code. Crafy is copyrighted by the
author, but as far as I know is non-GPL. I've seen references around
the net about people using Crafty's PGN routines in their own
programs, so I think Robert Hyatt, Crafty's author, might be willing
to give you permission to adapt his PGN code.

utility.c is the file with the PGN reading routine. Look at option.c
for the FEN handling code.

egtb.cpp is Eugene Nalimov's tablebase access code. You can use this
file directly in your own programs, but you need permission from both
Eugene Nalimov and Andrew Kadatch if you wish to distribute a program
using their code.

Tony
Old July 21st 05, 09:58 AM
David Richerby

Tony M wrote:
egtb.cpp is Eugene Nalimov's tablebase access code. You can use this
file directly in your own programs, but you need permission from both
Eugene Nalimov and Andrew Kadatch if you wish to distribute a program
using their code.

egtb.cpp contains no licensing agreement so, under a strict interpreta-
tion, you may not even use it in your own programs without permission.
It would be a great help if anyone had the time and inclination to produce
a clean-room reimplementation, and released it under any sane license.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Poisonous Radio (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ radio but it'll kill you in seconds!
Old July 23rd 05, 12:29 AM
Tony M

On 21 Jul 2005 09:58:11 +0100 (BST), David Richerby
wrote:

Tony M wrote:
egtb.cpp is Eugene Nalimov's tablebase access code. You can use this
file directly in your own programs, but you need permission from both
Eugene Nalimov and Andrew Kadatch if you wish to distribute a program
using their code.

egtb.cpp contains no licensing agreement so, under a strict interpreta-
tion, you may not even use it in your own programs without permission.
It would be a great help if anyone had the time and inclination to produce
a clean-room reimplementation, and released it under any sane license.

Dave.

You're right, I should have read the copyright notice more closely.
Thankfully, my as yet unfinished program is much too amateurish and
weak to use tablebases.

It would be nice to have a truly free tablebase access module, but it
seems that the pain of conforming to a copyright is much less than the
pain of reprogramming the wheel.

Tony