Old July 20th 05, 06:18 AM
R. Bharat Rao

Default Recommendations for HandHeld Chess (or for Blackberry?)

I'm looking for recommendations for a hand-held chess game
for a 9-year old. It is important that the skill levels be adjustable
(downwards!) to give him a competitive game. For instance,
Bringer at 1600 seems just about right at this time...

Also is there any chess game that could be downloaded on a
Blackberry?

Basically, I'm looking for a (relatively inexpensive) alternative
to his playing on his Gameboy Advance on car rides...

Thanks in advance

Bharat (in USA if that matters)

Old July 20th 05, 07:50 PM
André Gulliksen

R. Bharat Rao wrote:
Basically, I'm looking for a (relatively inexpensive) alternative
to his playing on his Gameboy Advance on car rides...

Does one have to rule out the other? I believe there are chess games for
Gameboy available for purchase. Probably not the strongest engines around,
but possibly more appealing to a 9-year old than a boring LCD handheld.

Old July 21st 05, 05:54 PM
André Gulliksen

R. Bharat Rao wrote:
Does one have to rule out the other? I believe there are chess games
for Gameboy available for purchase. Probably not the strongest
engines around, but possibly more appealing to a 9-year old than a
boring LCD handheld.

Great idea -- any suggestions? (The stores don't seem to carry any)

http://www.videogamereview.com/cat/g...x.aspx#reviews

http://www.consolegameworld.com/game.php/id/2107/

http://www.gamequestdirect.com/09149354420.html

I don't have a GB myself, so I can't really vouch for any of them, but it
should give you something to work from.

Old July 21st 05, 05:58 PM
Junior Member

You can find a chess games for every kind of player at PocketGear.com. There are at least 15 programs to choose from, ranging from beginner to GM (or so it is claimed). The prices range from $0 (free) to $30/$40 depending on what you are wanting included in your program. Personally, I downloaded and purchased 9 of the programs. For many, you can download a trial that will have limits on them. All in all, they have absolutely anything and everthing for the chess player. The programs are set up for just about all formats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Bharat Rao

Old July 22nd 05, 11:59 PM
Randy

R. Bharat Rao wrote:
I'm looking for recommendations for a hand-held chess game
for a 9-year old. It is important that the skill levels be adjustable
(downwards!) to give him a competitive game. For instance,
Bringer at 1600 seems just about right at this time...

Also is there any chess game that could be downloaded on a
Blackberry?

Basically, I'm looking for a (relatively inexpensive) alternative
to his playing on his Gameboy Advance on car rides...

Thanks in advance

Bharat (in USA if that matters)

I've heard really good things about Chess Genius (for Palm, Pocket PC,
and Symbian):

http://www.chessgenius.com

HIARCS also comes highly recommendeed:

http://www.hiarcs.com

Randy

--
Randy Crawford http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~rand rand AT rice DOT edu
Old July 23rd 05, 08:37 AM
pgeorges

I own both GBA + Chessmaster and Palm + Hiarcs. My kids (7 and 12) never
use the gameboy to play chess (nor do I), only the Palm. The reason is
that the screen is far better on the Palm (Tungsten E) and the
functionalities are better (levels, playing strength, etc.). The
drawback is the cost : around 230 euros (Tungsten E + Palm licence). If
I remember well it is a pain to save a game on the gameboy, and on the
palm you can have thousands of games saved. An advantage of Hiarcs is
that you can use it to analyse a game because of its strength (2400
ELO) : this is impossible with chessmaster on GBA.
I usually play one game of 1 hour agaisnt the Palm at various level, and
this helped me a lot to raise my level, I think it is useless to do this
with the gameboy.

Old July 25th 05, 12:10 AM
Chet Marino

Randy a écrit :
R. Bharat Rao wrote:

I'm looking for recommendations for a hand-held chess game
for a 9-year old. It is important that the skill levels be adjustable
(downwards!) to give him a competitive game. For instance,
Bringer at 1600 seems just about right at this time...

Also is there any chess game that could be downloaded on a
Blackberry?

Basically, I'm looking for a (relatively inexpensive) alternative
to his playing on his Gameboy Advance on car rides...

Chess genius is an excellent program and very stable.
I am not aware of a chess programs for the blackberry.
If you know of one please let me know.

Cheers,

--
Chet Marino
Old July 30th 05, 06:30 PM
Inconnux

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:54:55 +0200, "André Gulliksen"
wrote:

R. Bharat Rao wrote:
Does one have to rule out the other? I believe there are chess games
for Gameboy available for purchase. Probably not the strongest
engines around, but possibly more appealing to a 9-year old than a
boring LCD handheld.

Great idea -- any suggestions? (The stores don't seem to carry any)

http://www.videogamereview.com/cat/g...x.aspx#reviews

http://www.consolegameworld.com/game.php/id/2107/

http://www.gamequestdirect.com/09149354420.html

I don't have a GB myself, so I can't really vouch for any of them, but it
should give you something to work from.

I have the Gameboy Advanced and I have Chessmaster for it... its
perfect for portable play and it looks cool too

I would look on ebay for a copy as the stores dont seem to carry it.

J.Lohner
Old August 3rd 05, 03:14 AM

For a handheld, a good inexpensoive choice is the Palm Zire 31 - 200Mhz
Xscale processor.

There are only 3 chess program worth obtaining for the Palm:

HIARCS
Chess Genius
Chess Tiger

All 3 are professional grade chess programs with excellent graphics and
options. All other Palm chess programs are noticably inferior.

HIARCS has the option of allowing the user to select the ELO level and
may be the strongest for a handheld. It also costs more than the other
2. There are some (including me) that believe HIARCS is playing at GM
strength (2500+) on a fast Palm.

If you're like me , you will probably get all 3 -- and then have more
variety.

The other two are at least master+ level (2400+) on a faster Palm.

To get the most from Genius and HIACRS , you need to get an xscale
processing Palm like the Zire 31. Both of these programs take
advantage of the -xscale processor, consequently, they play noticiably
stronger on that type of processor,

Good Luck,

Michael