Old July 26th 05, 04:46 PM

Default Botvinnik bit maps in move generation?

I was going through some old chess computer articles, and I came across
a comment that said the old Novag Constellation chess computers (from
the 80's) used a move generation method based on two bit maps
attributed to Mikhail Botvinnik.

It also says that the method is 'very fast' and can be configured to
roughly order the captures for the search.

I've never heard that method before.

They can't be talking about regular bit map / bit boards. Those aren't
suitable for 8 bit processors. And they take more than two of them.

Any ideas what this is? I've never heard of it before.

I did a quick google search, but I didn't see anything relevant.

(Yes, I know, modern methods are better. That's not the point.)