Old July 29th 05, 05:20 PM
Mark

Default ct-art - anything simpler?

Hi,

CT-ART is advertised as being for players rated 1600 and up. Can
anyone recommend anything similar for lower rated players, say
1100-1300?

Thanks,

Mark
Old July 29th 05, 07:39 PM
Jason...

"Mark" wrote in message
Hi,

CT-ART is advertised as being for players rated 1600 and up. Can
anyone recommend anything similar for lower rated players, say
1100-1300?

Yes, checkers.

Regards,

Jason Repa

Old July 29th 05, 08:16 PM
matt -`;'-

"Mark" wrote in message ...
Hi,

CT-ART is advertised as being for players rated 1600 and up. Can
anyone recommend anything similar for lower rated players, say
1100-1300?

Thanks,

Mark

ChessMaster8/9/10 has a training CD that will give you the tools to improve and it also has a variety of opponents having a wide
range of strengths. You can learn from the training cd and then try it on computer opponents. You should balance playing and
training - they are complementary.

I have heard good things about CT-Art. Maybe you should'nt let your rating concern you, instead get it and increase your skills,
then your rating will improve.

Just my opinion, matt

Old July 29th 05, 08:22 PM
Martin Brown

Mark wrote:

Hi,

CT-ART is advertised as being for players rated 1600 and up. Can
anyone recommend anything similar for lower rated players, say
1100-1300?

Tasc CD remaindered at Chess UK for 5 earlier in the year would fit the
bill and is pretty much ideal for school level chess club training.

I think it probably spans the range you want, but can't be sure.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old July 30th 05, 12:35 AM
187Blues

Hi Mark!

I have bought both CT-ART aqnd Pocket CT-ART and LOVE them both! I
have been stuck in the 1300-1400 range for years (and did not are) as
a casual player and these boogers have really helped me out when it
comes to improvement.

Like most of us lower enders, I have learned that the latest, greatest
super strength chess program usually has no bearing on my play because
even if they (only!) play expert (or less) strength, they womp me.

I have learned that working thru problems at or right above my level
along with playing Chessmaster personalities aound my level,
adjustable strength chess programs, etc, is the best way for me to get
better.

Shredder classic seems prety good at this. It has an adjustable rating
'strength' setting.

Chesmaster, Chess Tiger and Hiarcs palm also have 'good' lower
settings. Not so much a blunder occasionally with master+ play the
rest of the time, but truer to life lower end play that will give us a
good game and more importantly (at least for me) let me actually win
sometimes.

I also hit up the ridderkerk (I think it is) site for freeware chess
engine ratings that will work with Arena (like winboard) and then
download and try out the ones in my rating range. If they work okay
and seem to play in my range I keep em and play em.

Convekta.com is a good place to hit. They offer Beginner and
Intermediate tactics 'courses' via software and altho their GUI's are
not the best, the programs are easy to use and the problems are worked
out well. Best of all, they ofer ALOT of downloadable, working demo's
to really get the feel of the program. Cool to be able to kick the
tires before you buy or not.

Back to CT-ART v3.0 - Start with ALL the 10 point / lowest difficulty
problems and work up from there. The lowest level is claimed to be
about 1600 but those 10 point problems are often VERY simple. Things
like knight forks (queen and king/check), simple two move mates, etc.
are all in there. After that move to 20 point problems, etc.

Finally, I enjoy the Polgar book. 5334 mates or something like that it
is called. I bought the THICK book, but also found the PGN online and
work em on the pocket pc when I'm not in the mood for tough problems
or a chess game.

Off I run - lunch hour over - best of luck - Ed

Old July 30th 05, 01:54 PM

"Chess Tactics for Beginners" is another Convekta CD, that is easier
than CT-ART. Both are good for tactics training

Old July 30th 05, 06:41 PM
Inconnux

On 30 Jul 2005 05:54:19 -0700, "
wrote:

"Chess Tactics for Beginners" is another Convekta CD, that is easier
than CT-ART. Both are good for tactics training

I just bought Chess tactics for Begginners and can vouch that it is a
quality program. I tend to start out solving about 10 of the CTFB as
a warmup to doing the more difficult CT-ART problems.

J.Lohner
Old July 31st 05, 04:05 PM
Mark

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 17:41:41 GMT, Inconnux wrote:

On 30 Jul 2005 05:54:19 -0700, "
wrote:

"Chess Tactics for Beginners" is another Convekta CD, that is easier
than CT-ART. Both are good for tactics training

I just bought Chess tactics for Begginners and can vouch that it is a
quality program. I tend to start out solving about 10 of the CTFB as
a warmup to doing the more difficult CT-ART problems.

J.Lohner

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've decided to give CT ART a go.

Under 15 ordered direct from Convekta If it's too hard right now
I'll try CT for Beginners before "moving up" to CT ART. That way,
nothing's wasted.

Best wishes,

Mark
Old August 1st 05, 05:32 AM
Angelo DePalma

There is a book (and corresponding .cbv or .pgn file) floating around
titled, "1000 Checkmates" or some such. I believe it's a Reinfeld book.
Filled with basic tactics.

Old August 3rd 05, 07:00 PM
CL

"Jason..." wrote in message
news:[email protected]

Yes, checkers.

Regards,

Jason Repa

You're a bit of an obnoxious little **** aren't you 'Jason'? With your chess
superpowers perhaps even the likes of Kasparov should look up to you? Then
again, maybe not, you elitist faggot.

So the guy isn't a God of chess like you and needs to learn some more? So
****ing what? Cretinous little ****wit like you are the sort of people who
turn folk away from the game. I'd buy you a gun if I thought you'd have a
clue how to point it at your head and pull the trigger. We could do with
the space your useless carcass is taking up.