Old August 11th 05, 04:04 AM
greyhipster

Default Info Needed on CSTal II

My favorite chess program is Chess System Tal II. It is unbeatable by
me and plays a more entertaining game, imo, than Fritz and Chessmaster,
which I both own. And the GUI is simple and doesn't have a bunch of
crap that I don't need, like 1000 different boards, pieces, and
personalities.

I have three versions of CSTal II. Two have the opening book, but lack
the endgame tablebases. The other has neither the book, nor the
tablebases! In endgame play, CSTal II is weak. In several games CSTal
has had a winning ending with connected passed pawns but allowed draws
by repetition. I figure this is because of the missing tablebases.
However, I feel very lucky to reach an endgame against CSTal!

Now...Where can I find the original Oxford Softworks version of CSTal
II, with the tablebases and opening book?? I've tried ebay and other
places....

I thank you in advance
Mikey

p.s. As far as I know, the only version of CSTal still available for
purchace is from a U.K. company called AI Factory, through download
only. I just paid for and downloaded this version. ($13.99) And this
is the one which has neither the opening book nor the tablebases!

Old August 11th 05, 04:13 PM
greyhipster

Thank you, CeeBee!

warm regards