Old August 12th 05, 07:15 PM
ChessliB

Default Earn a free download

May I invite you to an upload competition?
The first one to upload 100 (unique) pictures of
famous chess players to http://chesslib.no will earn
a free download of Chesslib's main database (.3 690 894 games).

-af-
www.chesslib.no

Old August 13th 05, 07:00 AM
Anders Thulin

ChessliB wrote:
May I invite you to an upload competition?
The first one to upload 100 (unique) pictures of
famous chess players to http://chesslib.no will earn
a free download of Chesslib's main database (.3 690 894 games).

I would like to warn anyone that photos are under much the same
copyright protection as music -- typically the photographer or
the customer for which he was taking the photos owns the rights.

If push comes to shove, with modern pictures there could be
trouble ahead. You may want to ask for clarification of related
issues before you upload anything.

--
Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se http://www.algonet.se/~ath
Old August 13th 05, 07:07 PM
Bark!

Na ,
ChessliB mukotrpnim radom iznađe ovu umotvorinu:

May I invite you to an upload competition?
The first one to upload 100 (unique) pictures of
famous chess players to http://chesslib.no will earn
a free download of Chesslib's main database (.3 690 894 games).

Which is heavy cca 3 GB and i have 56k.

Old August 13th 05, 11:27 PM
David Richerby

Bark! wrote:
ChessliB mukotrpnim radom iznađe ovu umotvorinu:
May I invite you to an upload competition?
The first one to upload 100 (unique) pictures of
famous chess players to http://chesslib.no will earn
a free download of Chesslib's main database (.3 690 894 games).

Which is heavy cca 3 GB and i have 56k.

I wouldn't expect it to be more than about 1Gb uncompressed; chess games
compress pretty well even with standard dictionary compression algorithms
(e.g., PKzip and gzip). I can't find the exact size of this download
but they have a compressed database of 2M games that's 183Mb.

And it's hardly chesslib's fault if you're stuck using ten-year-old
technology. You're just going to have to accept that there are plenty of
things you can't feasibly do on the internet with a 56k modem. I assume
you'd accept that you can't run the latest chess engine on a 486DX2, which
is about the same era...

Dave.

--
David Richerby Surprise Zen Toy (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ a fun child's toy that puts you in
Old August 14th 05, 08:18 AM
Bark!

Na ,
David Richerby mukotrpnim radom iznađe ovu
umotvorinu:

Bark! wrote:
[...]

I know. The machine is good, but broadband internet is not so popular
overhere because our monopolistic isp is just ****ing us with prices. 384
kbps download and 512 MB (no flat rate) costs 15 bucks a month. Now you tell
me the prices in USA.