Old August 13th 05, 08:44 AM

Default Chess Turn

I initially started this
as an exercise in the technologies involved, but I liked it enough to
finish it and now I want to see if the idea is sufficiently interesting
to other people.

Basically it's a turn-based chess playing site, ie. instead of playing
face-to-face, you play the next move in a series of games and you can
come back to those games a day later. But what makes it different is
that while you can play normal complete games, the system is set up so
that by default you can make the next move in random games - the whole
point being that by continually having to analyze different positions
from actual games you improve your game faster, and it's kind of an
interesting challenge. You're rated depending on your performance, so
that you get to play next moves in games that are being similarly
played by players of your level. I'm also using the chess variant
Fischer Random
(Chess960)
(optional) which basically randomizes somewhat the
initial position of the pieces on the back rank so that memorization of
opening moves goes out of the window and it boils down to positional
analysis and playing ability right off the bat. Or you can play
complete games of Fischer Random as well if you want.

Check it out and tell me what you think.

Old August 13th 05, 10:22 AM
David Richerby

But what makes it different is that while you can play normal complete
games, the system is set up so that by default you can make the next
move in random games - the whole point being that by continually having
to analyze different positions from actual games you improve your game
faster, and it's kind of an interesting challenge. You're rated
depending on your performance, so that you get to play next moves in
games that are being similarly played by players of your level.

How do you work the rating system? Do you have some way of rating
individual moves or are you just looking at results? Is that a fair
system?

Dave.

--
David Richerby Unholy Projector (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ 16mm film projector but it's also a