Old August 16th 05, 05:47 PM
Will Kemp

Default Does Online Openings Classifier Database Exist?

Does anyone know of an online openings classifcation program? I'm not a web
programmer, but it seems like this is a project someone would have tried
before.

Fritz is terrible at classifying openings, usually giving some vague
classification such as "King's Pawn Opening, 2.Nf3 and various."

I have MCO and BCO, but neither of those are very helpful when it comes to
looking up transpositions.

Chesslab doesn't cut it.

So far the best I have found is Bookup's ECOMaster file; however, even it is
not quite as comprehensive as I would like.

Ideally, a web-interface program would allow the user to enter moves, and
would show the most common names of the opening in, oh, let's say English.
It would also give you ECO and NIC codes, and perhaps even show the common
transpositional paths.

What prompts this question is the following opening from Capablanca -
Alekhine WCh 1927 (3):

1. d4 Nf6 2. Nf3 b6 3. g3 Bb7 4. Bg2 c5

Bookup calls this a Queen's Indian: Marienbad System.

Fritz6 calls it: A47: 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 b6: Torre, London, and Colle Systems.

Bookup gives 5.c4 as the only main line continuation.

Fritz gives 5.0-0, 5.c4, and 5.dxc5, but attaches no names to any of these
variations.

Chessbase's Online Database found 248 games with 5.0-0 with participants
such as Tarrasch, Colle, Vidmar, Richter, Steiner, Denker, and of course
Capablanca, so it can hardly be called obscure. Yet it appears to have no
name.

Old August 16th 05, 07:05 PM
Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2005-08-16, Will Kemp wrote:
Does anyone know of an online openings classifcation program? I'm not a web
programmer, but it seems like this is a project someone would have tried
before.

Have you tried pgn-extract?

http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/people/staff/djb/pgn-extract/

If you want it on-line, a CGI script would be quite easy to write
as a front end.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson http://cfaj.freeshell.org
Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach, 2005, Apress
Old August 16th 05, 07:22 PM
Ari Makela

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.games.chess.computer.]
On 2005-08-16, Will Kemp wrote:
Does anyone know of an online openings classifcation program? I'm not a web
programmer, but it seems like this is a project someone would have tried
before.

Try David J. Barnes excellent pgn-extract. Google will find it for you.

Slightly off-topic, but I've got Python and Java libraries for that.
The java library can be found at

If someone's interested in the Python library please post to the rgcc
and I will put it on the net. Both libraries are GPL-licensed because
the data comes from the GPL licensed Lasker chess server.

--
Ari Makela no escaping it -
I must step on fallen leaves

Old August 17th 05, 12:56 AM
David Richerby

[Gratuitous crosspost trimmed. There's no analysis here and anything
that has a specific classification (e.g., computer chess) can't be
miscellaneous.]

Will Kemp wrote:
Fritz is terrible at classifying openings, usually giving some vague
classification such as "King's Pawn Opening, 2.Nf3 and various."

I find Fritz is pretty good, usually, at least for standard sorts of
lines. Are you playing off-beat stuff after 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 ?

Dave.

--
David Richerby Broken Disposable Cheese (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like a lump of cheese but you never
Old August 17th 05, 03:21 PM
cmcanulty

I downloaded the .jar file, how do you use it.I unzippedbut then what?
Thanks

Old August 17th 05, 03:32 PM
Ari Makela

On 2005-08-17, cmcanulty wrote:
I downloaded the .jar file, how do you use it.I unzippedbut then what?

The API documentation can be found at URL:
http://grue-cdb.sourceforge.net/grue...y/javadoc/org/
arska/chess/classify/Classify.html
.

When programming java you don't need to unzip the jars.

There seems to be a bug in documentation: java.lang.String parameter is
not complete FEN because full move number and half move clock are not
meaningful in opening classification i.e. the string look like this:

2r1kb1r/ppq2ppp/2n1pn2/2pp4/3P2b1/2P1PN2/PP1NBPPP/R1BQ1RK1 w k -

Old August 18th 05, 01:34 PM
Mike Leahy

"Will Kemp" wrote in message
Does anyone know of an online openings classifcation program? I'm not a

web
programmer, but it seems like this is a project someone would have tried
before.

Fritz is terrible at classifying openings, usually giving some vague
classification such as "King's Pawn Opening, 2.Nf3 and various."

I have MCO and BCO, but neither of those are very helpful when it comes to
looking up transpositions.

Chesslab doesn't cut it.

So far the best I have found is Bookup's ECOMaster file; however, even it

is
not quite as comprehensive as I would like.

Bookup's ECOMaster file is quite small. You might look at the "Opening
Guide" ebook or expand your favorite.

I wrote a game classifier that used a Bookup ebook to tag PGN games with ECO
codes. If I recall, it will go at least 32 ply deep, in hopes of finding a
transposition to a "better" ECO code no matter how convoluted the opening
moves. It would take something to make it a web program though.

Mike Leahy
"The Database Man!"
www.bookup.com

Old August 18th 05, 07:38 PM
Will Kemp

Thanks for all the leads. I'll see if any work for me.

Old August 19th 05, 11:46 PM
SchemingMind

Does anyone know of an online openings classifcation program? I'm not a
web programmer, but it seems like this is a project someone would have
tried before.

Hi Will

I wrote a page for browsing through the online correspondence games that
have been played on SchemingMind.com - it's pretty basic at present, but it
does classify openings (based on position, not move sequence, so it should
handle transpositions) - is this the kind of thing you were asking about?

http://www.schemingmind.com/gameexplorer.aspx

I also had the idea of adding a database of 'expert games' to try and make
it more useful as a research tool (there is no quality control for the
SchemingMind games), but I haven't managed to get very far with that yet!

Hope that helps,

Cheers
Austin Lockwood
Webmaster, SchemingMind.com