Old August 17th 05, 03:33 AM
The Man Behind The Curtain

Default Chessmaster 10th edition

Hello there. Was wondering if I could get some info on CM 10th edition.
I have 9000 right now and like it a good deal. The 10th boasts a
completely redesigned interface with the most changes in seven years,
according to the ad copy. I've always found the CM interface to be one
of the weak spots and was wondering exactly what they did that's
different in 10. Also, are there more flat boards? They took away some
of the flat boards compared to some earlier version, such as CM 6000,
where you could do a sort of standard simple board with squares any size
and color you want and the flat iconic pieces. I used to like that a
lot, but CM 9000 seems to concentrate more on the 3-D boards. Sometimes
I'm just in the mood to stare at a 2-d board. Also, any other major
changes (more and different interactive stuff from Josh, for example)
that might make me want to fork open my wallet?

Thanks.

John

Old August 17th 05, 11:07 AM
Mr. Wizard

Stay with CM9K. I shelled out for CM10K and in all honestly I don't
see that much of difference between the two. CM10K has a few more 3D
boards, a kids section and that's about it. There was also,
supposedly, improvements to the King chess engine. But I'm not that
strong of a player and I guess at my level I would notice anyway.
There online sever is quite lacking and, if I recall, it was this way
also with CM9K.

Old August 17th 05, 05:58 PM
The Man Behind The Curtain

Mr. Wizard wrote:
Stay with CM9K. I shelled out for CM10K and in all honestly I don't
see that much of difference between the two. CM10K has a few more 3D
boards, a kids section and that's about it. There was also,
supposedly, improvements to the King chess engine. But I'm not that
strong of a player and I guess at my level I would notice anyway.
There online sever is quite lacking and, if I recall, it was this way
also with CM9K.

I don't care about the onliner server and the "old" engine is plenty
powerful for me too, but I'm more interested in the alleged improvements
to the interface. I don't care for the CM9000 interface all that
much--clunky and downright ugly at that, with that bizarre fake wood (or
is it marble) brownish "trim" to all the windows. Also, deleting games
is inconvenient...you have to go into your documents folder on the
desktop and do it by hand rather than be able to do it from inside the
program. I was hoping they'd have improved these things. Any luck?

John

Old August 17th 05, 07:24 PM
Michael Vondung

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 02:33:42 GMT, The Man Behind The Curtain wrote:

Also, any other major
changes (more and different interactive stuff from Josh, for example)
that might make me want to fork open my wallet?

Have a look at this review, it answers all of your questions:

http://www.entdepot.com/pc/chessmaster10/review.php

M.
Old August 17th 05, 08:43 PM
The Man Behind The Curtain

Michael Vondung wrote:

Have a look at this review, it answers all of your questions:

http://www.entdepot.com/pc/chessmaster10/review.php

Thanks for the pointer. I was sad to read they've taken away so many of
the standard chess sets. I am very fuss about what the chess sets I
play on look like. Does anyone know if the flat black and white
figurine set is still included, the one that looks like the printed
diagrams you most commonly see in chess books? I really like that one,
as well as the black and white Staunton 3-D sets. I DON'T like any of
the novelty chess sets and boards with little gnome, pixie, faux
medieval or abstract art chess pieces. If that's where this game is
going, I'll pass.

John

Old August 18th 05, 12:47 AM
D Persica

http://www.entdepot.com/pc/chessmaster10/review.php

Thanks for the pointer. I was sad to read they've taken away so many of
the standard chess sets. I am very fuss about what the chess sets I play
on look like. Does anyone know if the flat black and white figurine set
is still included, the one that looks like the printed diagrams you most
commonly see in chess books?

That review says: "Unfortunately, many sets from previous games aren't
included here - namely, the newspaper style from Chessmaster 9000 - and the
game provides you with far less sets than its predecessor."

I'm guessing the "newspaper style" is the same as the "chessbook style" you
mentioned.

Old August 18th 05, 02:14 AM
Charley

Does anyone know if the flat black and white
figurine set is still included, the one that looks like the printed
diagrams you most commonly see in chess books? John

Have a look at http://chessmaster10.ubi.com/us/extras.php and
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee/forums.../333106616/p/1

--
Regards Charley
Old August 18th 05, 03:52 PM
Andr Gulliksen

The Man Behind The Curtain wrote:
Thanks for the pointer. I was sad to read they've taken away so many
of the standard chess sets. I am very fuss about what the chess sets
I play on look like. Does anyone know if the flat black and white
figurine set is still included, the one that looks like the printed
diagrams you most commonly see in chess books? I really like that
one, as well as the black and white Staunton 3-D sets. I DON'T like
any of the novelty chess sets and boards with little gnome, pixie,
faux medieval or abstract art chess pieces. If that's where this
game is going, I'll pass.

The plain black and white 2D board is still there. The main difference from
earlier versions is that it can be resized to fit your resolution (not sure
if this was possible in 9K, i don't think it was in 8K).

Also, there's a bunch of fancy looking boards, including animated (!)
novelty 3D-boards. But if you're not using them they should not bother you.
Let's face it: Chess in itself is not a very sexy game, and if fancy gimicks
will sell a few extra copies then you can bet your right arm that commercial
chess software will include fancy gimicks. Which is OK, as long as we also
have the option to fall back to minimalistic and functional chess sets.

That being said, I think the new CM interface is a major improvement over
the old one. It is cleaner, more consistent, more functional and less space
wasting than the interface used with previous versions.

Another thing I used to hate about the old interface was the lack of system
friendlyness (no Win2K support, no dual monitor support, broken hotkeys
etc). I have yet to determine wether the new interface is an improvement in
this area.