Old August 21st 05, 06:55 AM

Default Flickering videos with Majestic Chess

We've been enjoying Majestic Chess for about 1 year. Suddenly
one day I found all the text displays (instructions, stories etc)
have flickering video displays.

At first, I blamed it on the CD being scratch. Order a new
one, reinstall it. The problem is still there. Use a
different CD drive altogether thinking it might have been the
drive issue, but still get the same issue.

Now, I'm really confused. What could the problem be, anyone?

Raymond

Old August 21st 05, 02:09 PM

This problem certainly wouldn't have anything to do with the CD or CD
drive. Something must have changed in the software or settings on your
computer (although you may not have been aware of it).

Between the last successful time you ran Majestic Chess and the first
time it looked wrong, did you install any new hardware, perform any
Windows Updates, or even install any other software? Maybe change any
of your computer's display settings?

jm

Old August 22nd 05, 01:18 PM
cmcanulty

Mine does the same thing, what a waste of money, I got rid of it

Old August 22nd 05, 04:05 PM

I install the newer CD on a laptop that never has any installation
before.
The program has no problem in that setup. SO this makes me think
what jm suggested might be worth pursuing.

Old August 22nd 05, 06:00 PM

I just realized that we wrote something about this in the Majestic
Chess FAQ, which used to be posted on the Vivendi Games Forum site
(accessible via www.vugames.com). However, they seem to be in the
process of redoing that entire site, and the Hoyle Games section is not
currently available.

You could wait to see if they bring that section back online, or you
could call their Tech Support. They should have something about this
problem. I vaguely recall that it had to do with video card drivers,
but I'm not certain.

jm

Old September 5th 05, 05:47 PM

It's the graphic controller driver. I rolled it back to a previous
version and the problem went away.

BTW Vivendi Games decided not to support any Hoyle Games any more!

Raymond