Old August 22nd 05, 01:39 PM

Default Fritz8 CD Copy protection

What is the method of copy protection for Frtiz8? Is it Starforce?
Safedisc? I want to backup my copy I just bought.

Old August 23rd 05, 08:05 AM
Michael Vondung

On 23 Aug 2005 00:50:13 +0100 (BST), David Richerby wrote:

I'm sure that Chessbase would happily replace your CD if it ever broke,
which it's unlikely to do if you look after it.

Depending on where he lives, his country's law may allow him to make a
backup copy of his media. Many countries do have such regulations, and for
a reason. Chessbase probably would replace his CD (for a fee, not to
mention the trouble of having to send it in, waiting for the new one to
come back, etcetera), but I can relate to the desire to keep original
software safely stashed away on the shelf. "Looking after it" isn't always
so easy if you have kids or a cat.

My personal issue with some copy protection systems is that I don't want to
always have to leave the CD or DVD in the drive. It's unnecessary, and an
inconvenience, especially if I use a product regularly. I also feel it is
unreasonable that I had to download a dubios no-CD crack from a
questionable site after *buying* CM10, because the copy protection did not
like my CD-R drive (I have a second drive, but I have a DVD in there and
don't want to swap all the time).

I also don't buy any software with Starforce, because it stealth-installs
hidden drivers that can easily mess up your system and may also cause
security issues (those drivers access the kernel directly). Mind you, the
user is not notified of this, and the drivers remain on the system even
after the "protected" software was uninstalled. There's plenty of material
about this on the web.

Copy protection schemes usually hurt the honest customer more than those
individuals who pirate software. The latter don't face any hassles. Working
with registration keys, customer-only content, additional value, etc. are
superior ways to make it attractive to buy software. It's noteworthy that
sales of PC games have been going down while protection systems have become
more aggressive and restrictive.

But I have been ranting about this for years, so, yeah.

M.
Old August 25th 05, 07:01 PM
Ruud

"Michael Vondung" schreef in bericht
On 23 Aug 2005 00:50:13 +0100 (BST), David Richerby wrote:

I'm sure that Chessbase would happily replace your CD if it ever broke,
which it's unlikely to do if you look after it.

Depending on where he lives, his country's law may allow him to make a
backup copy of his media. Many countries do have such regulations, and for
a reason.

Yes, so we can make copy's for ourselves, all our friends and all the people
who want to buy them too.
Who cares about the the people who pay normal prices?Those suckers just make
the producer happy, and if we all bought at normal prices, these would only
drop for people with money.

Old August 26th 05, 09:14 AM
Michael Vondung

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 20:01:04 +0200, Ruud wrote:

Yes, so we can make copy's for ourselves, all our friends and all the people
who want to buy them too.

People who want to pirate software can simply download cracked versions.
There are cracked versions even of software that uses the currently "best"
system: Starforce. The "one legal backup of the medium" regulations only
benefit those of us who buy their software and would like to have a backup
if something happens to the original disc. Pirates don't share this problem
in the first place.

The best-selling games (not familiar with sales figures of application
software) have no or only very weak copy protections. Games with
restrictive copy protection systems tend to sell far fewer copies. Just the
numbers -- I'll leave the interpretation of them to the reader.

M.