Old August 23rd 05, 07:00 AM
Alexander Wagner

Default "Weakening" crafty

Hi!

As I'm really not as strong as crafty I would like to weaken
it a bit to my strength so that I have even a slight chance
to pose him some problems.

Now I'm looking for some way to do this is a sensible manner
ie. that it doesn't start to just blunder away it's pieces
and so on, and actually I did not come to a conclusion yet
how to do this best. Any hints?

(BTW: I use the bare engine on Unix no fancy interface that
hides what it does. So I'd need some "engine settings" for
this task.)

--

Kind regards,
Alexander Wagner
Old August 23rd 05, 11:07 AM
pgeorges

Crafty is certainly the best chess engine, but for your purpose you may
look at Phalanx (see the -e option).

Pascal Georges

Old August 24th 05, 06:37 PM
Jo Steinschuld

I think CraftySE was the weakened engine!
See also ChessAssistance.com (Robert Pawlak)

Sincerely,
Jo Steinschuld

"Alexander Wagner" schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...

Old August 25th 05, 06:45 AM
Alexander Wagner

In article ,
Jo Steinschuld wrote:

I think CraftySE was the weakened engine!

Hm, if I'm right that one runs only on the unfree gaming
system from redmont, or? (Just to mention: running pure unix
and linux environment here. I know this is rare, but I
really don't have any version of DOS installed...

And I wonder: it should be possible to adjust the search
settings within the engine (any version) to lower it a bit
down. The point is just I've no real feeling how I would
accomplish this. Ie. in a way to not make crafty braindead.
I studied the docs for a while and have the problem that
I've no "feeling" where to start.)

Also if I look into the just introduced "personality"
settings I found that one could adjust almost everything.
The point is: I would require some guidiance how strong the
influences of these say 500 parameters are, or at least some
samples would be helpfull that set crafty to some style so
that I'd have a guideline.

E.g. I found that I could adjust the evaluation of things
like "king safty". Fine, telling crafty not to look to
strong on it would get it more agressive. Lowering the
values of the pieces a bit would invoke some loosing there
as well, stuff like that. But it's far to much parameters to
be able to deal with it without a certain experience or some
samples there.

See also ChessAssistance.com (Robert Pawlak)

The same OS-problem applies here, I feel.

--

Kind regards,
Alexander Wagner