Old September 1st 05, 01:32 AM
Tom Brown

Default Program to practice with

I am looking for a simple computer program that allows you to set up a board
with pieces and then move them around as if they were real pieces on a
board. I do not want a chess engine as I will be using the program while
reading chess books and moving the pieces as the book is showing for
teaching purposes. If it can be found on the web I would appreciate the
address.

Thanks,

Tom Brown

Old September 1st 05, 01:47 AM
Muggs

Tom,

Google for Arena and Skid.

Thery're both free and perfect for what your doing.
Then you can save as PGN and upload the file to the Ossimitz website.

Muggs

Old September 1st 05, 03:24 AM
Angelo DePalma

Almost any chess program will allow you to do that. You might also check out
CEBoard (or CE Board), a terrific game recording program with an optional
chess-playing engine.

adp

Old September 1st 05, 06:13 AM

To follow up on this, it is true that most any program will allow you
to do this. However, programs generally separate these things into two
"modes": one for setting up the board, and then one for making LEGAL
moves only. And it is only in this latter mode that you will be able to
also get analysis of the current board position.

So, if you want to set up a position, then play around with different
lines by going forward and backward in a legal move list, then it
should be no problem. But if you want to say "what if the Queen was
HERE instead of HERE", then you will have to switch modes, move the
queen, then switch back.

I just wanted to make that point clear.

jm

Old September 1st 05, 10:06 AM
David Richerby

To follow up on this, it is true that most any program will allow you
to do this.

Though you might want to check that your program allows null-moves so that
you can investigate threats. Xboard/Winboard doesn't allow this, for
example.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Moistened Gigantic Whisky (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like a single-malt whisky but it's

Old September 2nd 05, 10:20 PM
Mike Leahy

"Tom Brown" wrote in message
I am looking for a simple computer program that allows you to set up a

board
with pieces and then move them around as if they were real pieces on a
board. I do not want a chess engine as I will be using the program while
reading chess books and moving the pieces as the book is showing for
teaching purposes. If it can be found on the web I would appreciate the
address.

Thanks,

Tom Brown

Sure thing, Tom. You may want to try downloading the free Bookup 2000
Express program. It analyzes (if you want) while you move the pieces, and
it can save your work to PGN. Bookup was originally designed as a study aid
while reading paper chess books.

Mike Leahy
"The Database Man!"
www.bookup.com