Old September 5th 05, 03:22 PM
Angelo DePalma

Default how CB resolves customer/user problems

I predicted my dialog with ChessBase would peter out without the problem
being resolved. Here is their last email to me (I include the entire thread
for your convenience, with the cheese snipped). As you can see, they tried
to send me the update file (8 MB) but for some strange reason were having
difficulty. Might the file have been too large for their own servers? In any
case they couldn't or wouldn't send me the link as one of you generously
did. Please excuse my lousy German:

Hallo Angelo,

leider war das Senden an die genannte Adresse nicht möglich.

Your message

Old September 5th 05, 06:52 PM
Michael Vondung

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 10:22:14 -0400, Angelo DePalma wrote:

As you can see, they tried
to send me the update file (8 MB) but for some strange reason were having
difficulty.

I believe Google Mail does not accept executable files (such as the patch
they tried to send you). I don't know if this is configurable on your end,
but for a software company it is highly unusual to offer to send you an
update via email. They probably didn't offer a link because you didn't ask
for one, and instead requested the patch to be emailed to you. (Perhaps you
meant to ask for a link, but what you asked for in German was "es", meaning
the actual patch, not a download link for it.)

Personally I believe they did a good job and went beyond what customer
support of software companies usually offers.

M.
Old September 5th 05, 09:35 PM
HD

Michael Vondung wrote:
On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 10:22:14 -0400, Angelo DePalma wrote:

As you can see, they tried
to send me the update file (8 MB) but for some strange reason were having
difficulty.

I believe Google Mail does not accept executable files (such as the patch
they tried to send you). I don't know if this is configurable on your end,
but for a software company it is highly unusual to offer to send you an
update via email. They probably didn't offer a link because you didn't ask
for one, and instead requested the patch to be emailed to you. (Perhaps you
meant to ask for a link, but what you asked for in German was "es", meaning
the actual patch, not a download link for it.)

Personally I believe they did a good job and went beyond what customer
support of software companies usually offers.

M.

You're right about gmail and executables. If I recall correctly zipped
files works well.

HD
Old September 6th 05, 01:16 AM
Angelo DePalma

My tellurian.com limit is 15 MB, so the file should have gone through.

You may be right that they did more than most companies would do. But I
would think they'd have the wherewithall to send me the link in the first
place, or at least as a final resort, rather than trying to mail an 8 Mb
file. In any case their "service" must be viewed as a failure because they
did not resolve the problem. I would not have been aware of the link were it
not for the kind folks on this newsgroup.

. ..

Old September 6th 05, 12:16 PM
muppet0830

You're right about gmail and executables. If I recall correctly zipped
files works well.

I haven't tried it, but according to the gmail FAQs, zipped .exe files are
also rejected as attachments. If anyone knows how to get around this
limitation, I'd appreciate the tip. I might want to email a big .exe file
someday and gmail is one of the few email services that allows up to 10 MB
attachments.
--
muppet0830

Old September 6th 05, 12:28 PM
HD

muppet0830 wrote:
You're right about gmail and executables. If I recall correctly zipped
files works well.

I haven't tried it, but according to the gmail FAQs, zipped .exe files are
also rejected as attachments. If anyone knows how to get around this
limitation, I'd appreciate the tip. I might want to email a big .exe file
someday and gmail is one of the few email services that allows up to 10 MB
attachments.

Yes you're right.
You'll have to rename the extension.

HD