Old September 12th 05, 09:35 PM
The Man Behind The Curtain

Default Here's a weird one

I was playing against Hiarcs and got to the point where I thought, just
for the hell of it, I'd offer up a draw. It took it. In fact, oddly,
it replied to my one message *twice* with two different witty messages
one right on the heels of the other, both times taking the draw. So I
saved the game and went on to do other things. Later I was showing the
game to a friend and he looked at the position and doubted the computer
would take a draw in those circumstances, so I clicked the draw button
again to show him. This time it said "Are you kidding! Play on!"

Here's the game if anyone's interested:

Grabowski,John - Hiarcs 8 [D45]
12.09.2005
[Grabowski,John]
120'/40+60'/20+30'

819MB, h8.ctg, DESKTOP
1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.e3 Nf6 4.Nc3 c6 5.Nf3 Nbd7 6.cxd5 exd5 7.Bd3 Bd6
8.0-0 0-0 9.Qc2 Re8 10.Re1 Nf8 11.e4 dxe4 12.Nxe4 Nxe4 13.Rxe4 Rxe4
14.Bxe4 Be6 15.Ng5 g6 16.Nxe6 Nxe6 17.Be3 Qe7 18.Rd1 Bf4 19.d5 Bxe3
20.dxe6 Bb6 21.exf7+ Qxf7 22.Rd2 Re8 23.Re2 Rd8 24.a3 Bd4 25.b4 Bb6
26.Rd2 Qe7 27.Qa2+ Kf8 28.Rxd8+ Qxd8 -

Old September 12th 05, 10:03 PM

It's perfectly reasonable to accept the draw here. CM9_R1 evaluates the
position as only very slightly better for Black.

jm

Old September 13th 05, 02:37 AM
The Man Behind The Curtain

CeeBee wrote:

Try to offer a draw after your first move in a new game, even with a
threshold making the engine believe a draw is preferable in such a
circumstance. It won't likely accept a draw at the first move.

I'm not familiar with how a draw routine works in a chess engine, but I
don't think it will take a draw at the very first move you let it analyse.

As engines save their analysis en evaluations between moves, it might well
consider the fact how long it is playing and what have been the evaluations
so far or in the hash tables - coming from earlier moves.

Ah! That's an excellent point.

John