Old September 15th 05, 03:44 PM
Steve D.

Default Chess Engines

Can anyone recommend a powerful chess engine (2700+ ELO) that is freely
available for download?

I'm using Arena 1.1 as my front end.

Thanks.

Old September 15th 05, 04:28 PM
Visitor

"Steve D." wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone recommend a powerful chess engine (2700+ ELO) that is freely
available for download?

I'm using Arena 1.1 as my front end.

The performance will, of course, depend on your processor.

But, yo could try ProDeo 1.1 The ssdf lists it:

14 Pro Deo 1.1 256MB Athlon 1200 MHz 2723 29 -28 617 64% 2622

And, of course, there's always crafty.

34 Crafty 18.12/CB 256MB Athlon 1200 MHz 2617 24 -24 864 46% 2646

That's not 2700+, but, again, it would depend on your processor.

To be honest though, I'm surprised you need a 2700 chess engine. Not many
people do... and those that do need one are willing to pay big bucks for the
best they can get because they actually need that strong of an opponent.

Old September 15th 05, 05:54 PM
Ruud

You probably want Fruit 2.1.
This is a very good engine that beats commercial engines like fritz 8 or
junior on many occasions and is second best to only shredder in many tests.

Visitor" schreef in bericht
"Steve D." wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone recommend a powerful chess engine (2700+ ELO) that is freely
available for download?

I'm using Arena 1.1 as my front end.

The performance will, of course, depend on your processor.

But, yo could try ProDeo 1.1 The ssdf lists it:

14 Pro Deo 1.1 256MB Athlon 1200 MHz 2723 29 -28 617 64% 2622

And, of course, there's always crafty.

34 Crafty 18.12/CB 256MB Athlon 1200 MHz 2617 24 -24 864 46% 2646

That's not 2700+, but, again, it would depend on your processor.

To be honest though, I'm surprised you need a 2700 chess engine. Not many
people do... and those that do need one are willing to pay big bucks for
the best they can get because they actually need that strong of an
opponent.

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old September 15th 05, 09:30 PM
Le Fou numerique

Steve D. a écrit :
Can anyone recommend a powerful chess engine (2700+ ELO) that is freely
available for download?

I'm using Arena 1.1 as my front end.

Thanks.

Hi,

All the UCI Engines freely available classified by force of play (more
than 96.000 games played):
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/lefouduroi/tournois/uci/uel.htm

Click on the logo to arrive on the download site/page.

Here (http://perso.wanadoo.fr/lefouduroi/bohscc.htm) also a very good
opening book for use with Arena.

Regards

Patrick
Old September 16th 05, 09:19 AM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Fou numerique
Steve D. a écrit :
Can anyone recommend a powerful chess engine (2700+ ELO) that is freely
available for download?

I'm using Arena 1.1 as my front end.

Thanks.

Hi,

All the UCI Engines freely available classified by force of play (more
than 96.000 games played):
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/lefouduroi/tournois/uci/uel.htm

Click on the logo to arrive on the download site/page.

Here (http://perso.wanadoo.fr/lefouduroi/bohscc.htm) also a very good
opening book for use with Arena.

Regards

Patrick

The strongest free engines are Fruit 2.1 and Toga II 1.0. Bothe are available for free download from http://www.uciengines.de/UCI-Engines/uci-engines.html.

Regards,

Mark

Last edited by Mark Mason : September 16th 05 at 10:56 AM

Old September 16th 05, 12:57 PM
Peter Diosi

Hello,

You could try SOS, Fruit, Spike, Pharaon, Delfi

Of course if you always want the latest version of the opening book you
should download it he
http://www.playwitharena.com/directo...k/book-eng.htm

Kind regards,

Michael

Old September 16th 05, 01:44 PM
Angelo DePalma

I have been running Fruit 2.x against Shredder for a week or so now. Fruit
is definitely stronger at all time controls. I believe Fruit is the
strongest engine out there. It's free and easy to install under Arena.

adp

oups.com...

Old September 16th 05, 04:29 PM
Simon Krahnke

* Angelo DePalma (14:44) schrieb:

I have been running Fruit 2.x against Shredder for a week or so now. Fruit
is definitely stronger at all time controls. I believe Fruit is the
strongest engine out there. It's free and easy to install under Arena.

Did you do the tests under arena? What opening book settings did you
use? As I understand Fruit has its own book, but Shredder relies on the
GUI to do the opening.

mfg, simon .... l
Old September 16th 05, 04:48 PM
Ruud

Me too.
On mine it's Shredder9-Fruit 2.1 14.5- 11.5
Fritz 8 -Fruit 2.1 6.5- 8.5
"Angelo DePalma" schreef in bericht
I have been running Fruit 2.x against Shredder for a week or so now. Fruit
is definitely stronger at all time controls. I believe Fruit is the
strongest engine out there. It's free and easy to install under Arena.

adp

oups.com...

Old September 16th 05, 07:35 PM
Chuck

If you have the ability to run DOS, REBEL 12 DOS, is a Monster, and plays
that level, and is free!!!

Hey, anybody else still have a link for "BRINGER" It was Windows, but still
very very tough as well, and free!!!

oups.com...