Old September 17th 05, 02:24 AM
Mike Lucente

Default Making sense of Chessbase 8

Some questions about CB8 that I hope someone can help me answer ...

Where do I put new databases that I download from the web (like U.
Pitt). Do they go in the "Bases" subfolder or should they be dropped in
the main CB window or stored in some other place? If there a "right"
place? or should they be merged in with my "mega" database (seems a
waste). I'm confused.

How do I get the ECO codes to appear in my game list?

How do I search for a position within the new database? I know that can
search my reference database but do I have to import everything into the
mega database?

Just trying to make some sense of this thing.

Thanks.

Old September 17th 05, 10:38 AM
HD

Mike Lucente wrote:
Some questions about CB8 that I hope someone can help me answer ...

Where do I put new databases that I download from the web (like U.
Pitt). Do they go in the "Bases" subfolder or should they be dropped in
the main CB window or stored in some other place? If there a "right"
place? or should they be merged in with my "mega" database (seems a
waste). I'm confused.

There's no "right" place. You can make a subfolder inside Bases or
Database and call it Download/Pitts (Download/X when you're getting
games from X site, etc.). Remember to extract compressed files. I always
download to a different folder, and extract (or copy) to the
destination. In that way I keep the original files as backup.

How do I get the ECO codes to appear in my game list?

Go to 'tools'-'classification'-'set ECO codes'

How do I search for a position within the new database? I know that can
search my reference database but do I have to import everything into the
mega database?

No, not to search in it. Just click it, and press F (or right-click -
search).

HD

Old September 17th 05, 11:34 PM
Mike Lucente

CeeBee wrote:
Mike Lucente wrote in rec.games.chess.computer:

Some questions about CB8 that I hope someone can help me answer ...

http://www.chessbase.com/support/index.asp

Pretty weak help if you ask me. But thanks anyway.

Old September 18th 05, 02:54 PM
Angelo DePalma

Put new databases in the same folders as CB already uses. My program freezes
when I try switching folders.

.. .

Old September 19th 05, 02:26 AM
Mike Lucente

CeeBee wrote:
Mike Lucente wrote in rec.games.chess.computer:

Pretty weak help if you ask me. But thanks anyway.

About 200 articles in the workshop and T-Notes departments "pretty weak
help"? You're pretty kidding, right?

I guess by "weak" I mean that it's not easy to find the solution to a
problem. I do see a whole bunch of stuff but I should not to have to
read ALL of the help to find an answer. And the search function blows.

It's "weak" (IMHO) as compared to many other support centers that I've seen.