Old September 19th 05, 01:53 PM

Default Need recommendation

I haven't played an electronic chess game since Battle Chess for the
Commodore 64. Recently I have been wanting to improve my game play.
After looking around at my local software store it seemed that
Chessmaster 1oth Edition was my best bet, so I ponied up the $30. Much
to my dismay you cannot save a game. This is very frustrating since I
have this game on my laptop and must frequently interrupt play. There
is a pause feature, but of course I have to keep the programming
running for this feature to be of any use. Can anyone recommend
another (preferably free) Windows alternative that will let me save my
games?

Thanks,

Wease

Old September 19th 05, 04:50 PM
Solomon Nuffert

Hi!

Free?
GUI - Arena, only Arena and nothing but Arena!
Engine - Pro Deo, Crafty, Fruit and many others.
If You like DOS - Rebel 12 for DOS - free, exellent, but can't work under
Win XP

By the way - I can save my games in CM10 without problem: File - Save.

Regards
SoloMoon

Old September 20th 05, 02:04 AM
Grackle

"Solomon Nuffert" wrote in message
Hi!

Free?
GUI - Arena, only Arena and nothing but Arena!
Engine - Pro Deo, Crafty, Fruit and many others.
If You like DOS - Rebel 12 for DOS - free, exellent, but can't work under
Win XP

By the way - I can save my games in CM10 without problem: File - Save.

I think you can't save rated games.

Old September 20th 05, 04:12 AM

Yes, you can save a game in Chessmaster. And you can even "save" a
Rated Game by using the "Adjourn" feature -- or at least you could with
CM9000.

jm

Old September 20th 05, 05:32 AM
SkyWalker

Yes, you can still adjourn a rated game in CMX. You can save an finished
rated game too.
Ofcourse you can save at any point in time for the training mode games.

If you have already purchased it, CMX is a nice program and has more
features than any free tool available. Just play around with the menus and
give it some time.

Walker

oups.com...

Old September 23rd 05, 08:38 PM
The Man Behind The Curtain

SkyWalker wrote:
Yes, you can still adjourn a rated game in CMX. You can save an finished
rated game too.
Ofcourse you can save at any point in time for the training mode games.

If you have already purchased it, CMX is a nice program and has more
features than any free tool available. Just play around with the menus and
give it some time.

They'd rather run to this ng and bitch than spend five minutes with the
manual.

John

Old September 26th 05, 08:35 AM
The Man Behind The Curtain

CeeBee wrote:
The Man Behind The Curtain wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

CeeBee wrote:

All I can remember with ChessMaster was the inability to interrupt a
rated game, as with most chess programs.

Yes you can. Sigh. Why don't all you people READ THE MANUAL???

I don't own CM10K, and I'm not in the regular habit of owning manuals of
programs I don't have. Things might have changed between my last copy of
Chessmaster, CM6000, and now.

They haven't changed a thang. You can interrupt a CM6000 version. And
it's in the CM6000 manual, too.

John