Old September 20th 05, 10:15 AM

Default 8x8 and 10x8 SMIRF Chess program

The beta of this universal chess program with its own GUI is still
downloadable and testable during month September 2005.

http://www.chessbox.de/Compu/schachsmirf_e.html

Regards, Reinhard.

Old September 21st 05, 12:32 AM

The SMIRF chess program is very nice, and is worth checking out by
anyone interested in Chess variants. There are so few universal chess
programs (only three that I know of) that I'm always happy to see
further development in this area.

-Greg

Old September 21st 05, 06:04 AM

Hi Greg,

indeed that area is a little bit exotic. SMIRF follows the FullChess
idea to cover variants compatibly including rules of traditional chess
and the extended Capablanca 10x8 piece set. Thus it might not be that
universal compared to other approaches.

The included Chess960 / Fischer Random Chess ability besides being able
to play of course traditional chess too, should help to make the SMIRF
attempt more acceptable. But I have to state that the resonance could
be somehow bigger. There should be more competitive 10x8 chess events,
e.g. covering the Capablanca Random Chess variant I have invented.

Regards, Reinhard.
--
http://www.chessbox.de