Old September 30th 05, 03:06 AM
Jerry Creed

Default Fritz 9 too young?

The ad for the upcoming Fritz 9 with an apparant emphasis on the Turk and
associated spectacular graphics.......................is Fritz pandering to
a younger, less serious market?

The other stuff, "stronger chess engine," "positional trainer" and so forth,
does any of that significantly improve the program?

Naturally, I'm suckered and will end up with it after agonizing over the
decision for another week, but how does it strike you........you guys?

Jerry

Old September 30th 05, 07:20 AM
Michael Vondung

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 22:06:41 -0400, Jerry Creed wrote:

is Fritz pandering to a younger, less serious market?

I believe it is rather trying to break into other, currently unconquered
markets, not necessarily giving up or alienating present customers. The
chess engine is so strong by now that there probably won't be any
significant jumps between two releases, so they have to make the update/new
version attractive to old and new buyers by adding "fluff".

Naturally, I'm suckered and will end up with it after agonizing over the
decision for another week

.... and it works.

M.
Old September 30th 05, 07:33 AM
Ruud

In Germany Fritz9 is allready on the market and on Playchess.com they are
allready using it.
Fritz9 seems better than 8 (about 30 points), looking at the rankings.

"Jerry Creed" schreef in bericht

Old September 30th 05, 12:37 PM
Junior Member

[quote=Jerry Creed]The ad for the upcoming Fritz 9 with an apparant emphasis on the Turk and
associated spectacular graphics.......................is Fritz pandering to
a younger, less serious market?

The other stuff, "stronger chess engine," "positional trainer" and so forth,
does any of that significantly improve the program?

Naturally, I'm suckered and will end up with it after agonizing over the
decision for another week, but how does it strike you........you guys?

Jerry

Jerry,

have a look at this league table based on over 280 games. It puts Fritz 9 already 50 ELO points above Fritz 8 Bilbao (which is in itself stronger that regular Fritz 8).

http://www.husvankempen.de/nunn/rangliste.html

The only engine stronger than ritz 9 is the new Fruit 2.2 (based on theWC'0005) world beating engine, which is supposed to be 100 points higher than the free Fruit 2.1 !! It is not free and costs about £20. I have just ordered it from:

http://www.fruitchess.com/

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark

/QUOTE]
Old October 1st 05, 05:48 PM
Angelo DePalma

I purchased the latest Shredder because of the "training" features, and they
suck big time.

Further versions of CB flagship products must be considered marketing ploys
until they prove otherwise.

Old October 1st 05, 06:48 PM
Michael Wäsch

I do not need to have the newest chess-engines. And CB will not really
improve their products. Why should they? People demanding better
analysis routines and training features are too few for CB to take
care. The overwhelming majority of chess-program-users consists of the
average guy who just wants to play a short and fast game of chess per
month who wants to be impressed by 3D-graphics, the turk and other
useless gimmicks. So they get what they want. That´s all.

As long as CB does not get overrun by a demand for better features and
threating them to no longer buy their products until they have these
features, nothing will happen. And nothing will happen. Dozens and
dozens of people couldn´t wait to get Fritz 9 and now wondering why
they all the way loose against other engines. Hell, the question is:
Why not ? Shredder has learning capabilities (Shredder.pl2) etc and
Fritz not.

In addition CB products are now twice as expensive as they were before
the Euro. They just want now the same in Euro as before in German
Mark.

In times where free engines like Fruit and Toga were already stronger
than CB-products it is more than ridiculous that so many people fall
to the hype of newer, "better" and stronger CB-products. What for? To
get ones a** kicked by a 2700 Elo machine instead of a 2650 one?
Strange ...

Mike
"Angelo DePalma" schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...

Old October 1st 05, 07:55 PM
Michael Vondung

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 19:48:33 +0200, Michael Wäsch wrote:

The overwhelming majority of chess-program-users consists of the
average guy who just wants to play a short and fast game of chess per
month who wants to be impressed by 3D-graphics, the turk and other
useless gimmicks.

Well, Chessmaster is superior in the "eye candy" area, and it doesn't play
that much worse than Fritz. Frankly, I never understood the CB/Fritz hype
or why everyone feels they must have this software. CMX offers a lot more
to the average chess player (for less money).

In addition CB products are now twice as expensive as they were before
the Euro. They just want now the same in Euro as before in German
Mark.

Yes, that equals a price increase of 100%. Unfortunately, everyone else
does that, too ... not necessarily as obviously, but markups of 50%
compared to when we got the Euro a few years ago are really common. But who
am I telling this ... you suffer from the same problem. (Needless to
say, my income didn't increase by the same percentage.)

M.
Old October 2nd 05, 08:14 PM

Shredder and ChessBase are different companies.

www.shredderchess.com

has the info on the excellent Shredder products.

If you have a vendetta against Chessbase, don't take it out on Shredder
:-)
Shredder is great software.

Old October 10th 05, 09:03 PM
Gregi

"Jerry Creed" wrote
The other stuff, "stronger chess engine," "positional trainer" and so
forth, does any of that significantly improve the program?

Jerry, I got the German version... mind you, only the user manual is
German-only, the program runs in English just fine and most of the
Multimedia addons are in English too.
I really like it over Fritz8. The Gui is not thet different, nor is the
functionality... but I really like the feature, where you can watch multiple
boards at once, without having to flick between windows... But then, I'm not
a hell of a player... so it does it for me, I guess...

Old October 10th 05, 09:37 PM
The Man Behind The Curtain

Gregi wrote:
"Jerry Creed" wrote

The other stuff, "stronger chess engine," "positional trainer" and so
forth, does any of that significantly improve the program?

Jerry, I got the German version... mind you, only the user manual is
German-only, the program runs in English just fine and most of the
Multimedia addons are in English too.
I really like it over Fritz8. The Gui is not thet different, nor is the
functionality... but I really like the feature, where you can watch multiple
boards at once, without having to flick between windows... But then, I'm not
a hell of a player... so it does it for me, I guess...

Just curious, what multiple boards? Why do you need to watch more than
one board at once?

John