Old October 3rd 05, 04:21 PM
freechess

Default Rebel 12 DOS in Dosbox

Hiya -

I've managed to run Rebel XP in dosbox without any problem. Have any of you run Rebel 12 in Dosbox?

Thx

btw here's my free chess program site www.freewebs.com/freechess

--
freechess

View this thread: http://www.game-tricks.net/viewtopic-325533.html

Send from http://www.game-tricks.net

Old October 4th 05, 12:52 AM
Major Cat

freechess wrote:

I've managed to run Rebel XP in dosbox without any problem. Have any of you run Rebel 12 in Dosbox?

Is there a Rebel XP? If you mean running Rebel 12 (DOS) in a DOS box
under some MS-Windows
OS, the answer is yes. I run it under Windows for Workgroups 3.11 (on
top of MS-DOS 6.22).

Major Cat

Old October 4th 05, 09:32 AM
freechess

Yeah, Rebel XP was offered free to people who had bought recent versions of rebel century etc - it's the version before Rebel 12 DOS.

I'm using Windows XP - under which Rebel DOS won't run - so I use the application Dosbox 0.63 - http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

However, Rebel 12 produces an error when it starts up in Dosbox. I wondered if anybody had found a way around this, given that earlier versions seem to work e.g. you can use the free download rebel decade 3.0 in dosbox.

regards

Old October 5th 05, 02:15 AM
Major Cat

freechess wrote:

Yeah, Rebel XP was offered free to people who had bought recent versions of rebel century etc - it's the version before Rebel 12 DOS.

Thanks, I was not aware of this.

I'm using Windows XP - under which Rebel DOS won't run - so I use the application Dosbox 0.63 - http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

However, Rebel 12 produces an error when it starts up in Dosbox. I wondered if anybody had found a way around this, given that earlier versions seem to work e.g. you can use the free download rebel decade 3.0 in dosbox.

Keep in mind that the README.TXT that accompanies Rebel 12 (DOS) states:

*** ***
*** REBEL 12 (DOS) does NOT run under Windows XP ***
*** email to complain ***
*** ***

regards

--
freechess

Major Cat

Old October 5th 05, 04:36 PM
freechess

Yeah, unfortunately none of the Rebel DOS programs run in Windows XP. HOwever, there's a great free program called DOSBOX (see link above), in which it is possible to run all but the latest Rebel, i.e. Rebel 12. It maybe that a simple change to the Rebel configuration file will allow it to run...??

Old October 6th 05, 10:37 AM
Major Cat

freechess wrote:

Yeah, unfortunately none of the Rebel DOS programs run in Windows XP. HOwever, there's a great free program called DOSBOX (see link above), in which it is possible to run all but the latest Rebel, i.e. Rebel 12. It maybe that a simple change to the Rebel configuration file will allow it to run...??

Unfortunately, I do not have the technical knowledge to help you with
this. You may have
noticed that the REBEL family documentation is long on chess details and
very terse when
it comes to computer documentation... Nevertheless, I _speculate_ that
REBEL 12 (DOS) is
a _major_ departure from past coding practices as betrayed by the size
explosion of the main executable -- about 10 times as big as the one in
REBEL DECADE (DOS)! Moreover, unlike REBEL DECADE (DOS), REBEL 12 (DOS)
refuses to run on a 486/33 Mhz PC, requiring a
fast Pentium system... I would bet that REBEL 12 (DOS) has its own
cranky views of what constitutes...DOS!

--
freechess

Major Cat

Old October 6th 05, 04:49 PM
freechess

Thing is: Rebel 12 is actually very similar to Rebel XP, and Rebel XP runs ok in DOSBOX. So I think it might be possible to get rebel 12 to run with a little tinkering...

Old October 7th 05, 01:56 AM
Major Cat

freechess wrote:

Thing is: Rebel 12 is actually very similar to Rebel XP, and Rebel XP runs ok in DOSBOX. So I think it might be possible to get rebel 12 to run with a little tinkering...

I was under the impression that REBEL XP is an application that is
_native_ to the WIN-XP
operating system. If such is the case, there just cannot be any close
affinity between it and REBEL 12 (DOS). The latter is an application
_native_ to MS-DOS... If, on the other hand, REBEL XP is indeed _native_
to MS-DOS (you mentioned that it runs in a DOSBOX!!!), well, this must
be the misnomer of the century!

--
freechess

Major Cat

Old October 7th 05, 04:22 PM
freechess

Yes, it was rather a misnomer!

The windows version was also called Rebel 12, and was sold with the chesspartner interface.

The windows version is now called Pro Deo, and is available for free from http://members.home.nl/matador/

Old October 7th 05, 11:35 PM
Major Cat

freechess wrote:

Yes, it was rather a misnomer!

The windows version was also called Rebel 12, and was sold with the chesspartner interface.

The windows version is now called Pro Deo, and is available for free from http://members.home.nl/matador/

Manfred Rosenboom and Jan Willem Schoonhoven are the REBEL team members
mainly responsible for the _lamentable_ state of troubleshooting
document-
ation! Their help suggestions regarding DOS related issues invariably
en-
tail an exhortation to run the program with some type of "sexy"
shortcut
These gentlemen told the world that:

*** ***
*** REBEL 12 (DOS) does NOT run under Windows XP ***
*** email to complain ***
*** ***

As usual, they glossed over important "details" as to the kind of
DOS_BOX
that may or may not be relevant here (you see, as far as these two
gentle-
men are concerned, DOS_BOXes do _not_ exist, just "sexy" shortcuts...

As you know, WIN-XP comes with two DOS_BOX types. The DOS_BOX driven by
CMD.EXE has been unveiled as "the best version of DOS, ever" (although
it
is not really DOS, etc...). The DOS_BOX driven by COMMAND.COM is the one
encountered in WIN 9x/Me. My hunch is that it is the latter DOS_BOX that
may hold some hope for you here...

--
freechess

Major Cat