Old October 4th 05, 06:08 PM
The Man Behind The Curtain

Default Weird Chessmaster glitch

I was playing a casual game and made the move Qd4. I got the coach
warning "Leads to blah, blah, blah, blah." Then it said "--Better is Qd4!"

The thing is going senile.

John

Old October 5th 05, 08:56 AM
David Richerby

The Man Behind The Curtain wrote:
I was playing a casual game and made the move Qd4. I got the coach
warning "Leads to blah, blah, blah, blah." Then it said "--Better is
Qd4!"

Sure. Qd4! is a good move; Qd4 is just a move. Of course Fritz's
suggestion is better.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Accelerated Solar-Powered Gnome (TM):
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ it's like a smiling garden ornament
Old October 5th 05, 11:05 AM
Mr. Wizard

The only move Fritz knows is resign.

Old October 5th 05, 08:46 PM

The Man Behind The Curtain wrote:
I was playing a casual game and made the move Qd4. I got the coach
warning "Leads to blah, blah, blah, blah." Then it said "--Better is Qd4!"

The thing is going senile.

John

Which version of Chessmaster are you running? However, whether it is
CM9 or CMX, I do believe that in the initial versions of both programs,
this was a somewhat annoyingly common occurrence, usually dealing with
positions in which you were already very far ahead, or had a relatively
deep tactical potential that confused the Blunder Alert.

I also believe that both versions released patches that reduced the
frequency of the problem (although it is impossible to totally
eradicate).

jm

Old October 5th 05, 09:38 PM
The Man Behind The Curtain

Which version of Chessmaster are you running? However, whether it is
CM9 or CMX, I do believe that in the initial versions of both programs,
this was a somewhat annoyingly common occurrence, usually dealing with
positions in which you were already very far ahead, or had a relatively
deep tactical potential that confused the Blunder Alert.

I also believe that both versions released patches that reduced the
frequency of the problem (although it is impossible to totally
eradicate).

jm

I have CM9K. Yes, I downloaded the patch (or *a* patch; not sure if
there was more than one). I've never gotten this bug before, and I play
CM a good deal. Also, you're right about getting blunder alerts
sometimes if you're way ahead. I was beating the pants off some
personality a few days back and I got a blunder alert. I stared at the
move for 15 minnutes and could see nothing wrong with it. Not trusting
myself, I fired up Fritz and imported the position. Fritz liked my move
immediately. So I went back to CM, stuck out my tongue, and played it.

I'd like to report that I won, but I drew that game anyway because I
have a gift for frittering away my advantages in the endgame. My
endgame is really bad. Plus I find endgames rather boring oftentimes,
so I tend to not give them my all like I know I should.

In my current CM (rated) game, personality Rick just made a sacrafice so
unsound I have to wonder what he was smoking before he came to the
board. Watch, though. I'll still blow it in the end, I'm sure. :-)

John

Old October 6th 05, 08:58 AM
David Richerby

Mr. Wizard wrote:
David Richerby wrote:
The Man Behind The Curtain wrote:
I was playing a casual game and made the move Qd4. I got the coach
warning "Leads to blah, blah, blah, blah." Then it said "--Better is
Qd4!"

Sure. Qd4! is a good move; Qd4 is just a move. Of course Fritz's
suggestion is better.

The only move Fritz knows is resign.

Er, I mean ``Chessmaster's suggestion''. For some inexplicable reason, I
thought The Man was talking about Fritz.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Permanent Tool (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ handy household tool but it'll be
Old October 6th 05, 09:00 AM
David Richerby

The Man Behind The Curtain wrote:
In my current CM (rated) game, personality Rick just made a sacrafice so
unsound I have to wonder what he was smoking before he came to the
board.

Is that what people mean when they say that they've downloaded cracks for
their programs?

Dave.

--
David Richerby Mentholated Cyber-Toy (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ a fun child's toy that exists only in
Old October 6th 05, 09:01 AM
David Richerby

The Man Behind The Curtain wrote:
In my current CM (rated) game, personality Rick just made a sacrafice so
unsound I have to wonder what he was smoking before he came to the
board.

Is that what people mean when they say that they've downloaded some
kind of crack for a program?

Dave.

--
David Richerby Simple Umbrella (TM): it's like an
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ umbrella but it has no moving parts!
Old October 6th 05, 06:03 PM
[email protected]

Here's how it works:

After a human makes a move, the Blunder Alert tries to -- VERY QUICKLY
-- determine if the move was a "blunder" (and there is a setting in the
UI that allows the user to define the minimum point difference required
for a move to be one). The reason that it tries to do it quickly is to
not disturb the flow of the game. The maximum amount of time the engine
is allowed to have to determine if a move is a blunder is one second.

So, let's say it finds a blunder and up pops the dialog. The user then
says "I don't get it -- Why is it a blunder?" and presses the
appropriate button. The engine is now given approximately SEVEN seconds
to come back with an answer, along with a relatively detailed analysis
of the position.

If you've ever watched an engine analyze a position, it can change its
mind many about the best move MANY times over the first few seconds.
The difference in quality of analysis between one second and seven
seconds is pretty big. And it is this difference that can occasionally
cause the engine to quickly say that move X is a bad move, but then say
that it is a good move if it is given more time to think.

But, when I said that it was "impossible" to prevent this, I was kind
of avoiding the issue. Sure, we could have put some code in there to
say "whoops -- the blunder alert said to make the move that the user
DID move -- let's make up something else." :-) But we felt that would
be cheating, so we left it like it was and tried to find the right time
settings to avoid the issue as much as possible.

jm