Old October 19th 05, 12:25 PM
Henri Arsenault

Default shredder for Mac

I downloaded the Mac shredder demo yesterday.

The producers must be congratulated for making one of the best
chessengines available for the Mac. So far the only professionnal chess
game for the Mac is Sigma 6 with the Hiarcs 9.06 engine, whcih is hampered
by its interface for one who is used to Fritz 8 (I own both Macs and PCs).

Since shredder for the PC comes with the Fritz interface, I was expecting
the same for the Mac, but the unfortunately the interface is bare-bones.
Shredder probably have an agreement with Fritz that allows them to use
the Fritz interface, and anyway there is a UCI version that can simply be
plugged into the PC Fritz program. But there is no Fritz for the Mac and
as far as I know, there are no plans to produce a Mac version of Fritz (in
which case I might just decide to drop the PC altogether...).

Like Sigma, Mac Shredder shows only one line of analysis in the analysis
mode. For me, the Fritz multi-line analysis is an absolute requirement (I
use Fritz mostly for analysis), and no Mac chess program has such a
feature. It is only when compared to other programs that one really
appreciates all the great features of Fritz.

I wrote to shredder support to find out if they intend to improve the
interface, and I have to applaud Stefan Meyer-Kahlen for responding to me
personally; he said that there are plans for adding features to the Mac
interface, which I suppose means that it will depend on the response of
Mac users.

The program DOES have some features, such as UCI compatibility that I
verified by using the Hiarcs 9.60 UCI from Sigma with the Shredder.

I would buy the program immediately, but Fritz 9 just came out and I will
buy it as soon as it becomes available here in Canada. But if you dont
have a PC, you should seriously consider getting either Shreddder or Sigma
with Hiarcs.

In any case, you can download the shredder demo for free and see for
yourself; although there are 3 versions of shredder including a
dual-processor version, they all have the same interface. I have a
dual-processor Mac, and if Mac Shredder had the Fritz interface, I would
buy the dual-processor version in an instant (but it costs twice as much
as the single-processor version...).

Henri
Old October 19th 05, 05:27 PM

have a look at:
http://jose-chess.sourceforge.net
supports multi-line analysis, also with the Shredder engine.

unfortunately, Shredder's opening book works only in its own GUI.

Old October 19th 05, 08:09 PM
davidf

How did you manage to load Shredder demo engine onto Sigma? I couldn't
find the engine file.

Like you, I was quite disappointed by the lack of features in Shredder
for man. And again like you I applaud Stefan for his prompt response.

My question at this point would be why not do like Hiarcs and bundle it
with Sigma? It's not Fritz, but it is a better interface than the one
Shredder for mac has now.

Old October 20th 05, 07:13 AM

The engine file is located in:
/Applications/Shredder
Classic.app/Contents/Resources/Java/engines/ShredderClassiMac

Sigma's file chooser can't navigate into "Shredder Classic.app", so you
have to copy the file into another directory.
However, I was not able to launch the engine from Sigma, it locks up
immediately :-(

Old October 20th 05, 01:06 PM
Henri Arsenault

In article .com,
"davidf" wrote:

How did you manage to load Shredder demo engine onto Sigma? I couldn't
find the engine file.

Like you, I was quite disappointed by the lack of features in Shredder
for man. And again like you I applaud Stefan for his prompt response.

No, I loaded the Hiarcs UCI into Shredder.The demo is not UCI, so it
cannot be put into Sigma, but if you buy the UCI version of shredder, you
could put it into Sigma.

My question at this point would be why not do like Hiarcs and bundle it
with Sigma? It's not Fritz, but it is a better interface than the one
Shredder for mac has now.

See above. I would not be surprised if Shredder and sigma made an
agreement to let Shredder be bundled with sigma instead of or in addition
to Hiarcs 9.60.

althoguh Sigma has more features, I prefer the Shredder interface for
analysis. Unfortunately both display only the best line. I would buy
shredder despite the limited interface if only it had multi-line display
like Fritz (the only interface that I know of for PC that has that feature
- other programs that have it use the Fritz interface.

Henri

Old October 20th 05, 07:14 PM
Henri Arsenault

After I wrote the previous message, I found that the Shredder demo engine
can be put into Jose, although it cannot be put into Sigma. For some
reason, Jose can see into the Shredder app (Sigma cannot) and you can pull
out the UCI program from Shredder and install it as a UCI engine into
Jose. Jose already has the Crafty 19 engine in it, which supports multiple
liines of analysis.

I got a few error messages when changing the number of lines displayed in
the analysis (turn off the analysis first), but it seems to work.
Apparently Hiarcs does not support multiple lines of analysis, so in Jose
you still get only one line of analysis with Hiarcs 9.60.

Jose is free, and so is the shredder demo, so it costs nothing to try. And
there arte a lot of free UCI engines on the web too. Jose looks pretty
good, but I haven't yet spent much time with it. Anyway it is the only Mac
program that allows multiple lines of analysis a la Fritz.

Henri
Old October 23rd 05, 01:34 PM
davidf

What's Arena? is it a Mac chess program?

Old October 23rd 05, 06:19 PM
Tony M

On 23 Oct 2005 05:34:41 -0700, "davidf" wrote:

What's Arena? is it a Mac chess program?

Sorry, it's a PC program. I was just clarifying what Henri was
stating about PC programs.

Tony