Old October 22nd 05, 05:31 PM
Amos Soma

Default Fruit 2.2 vs Fritz 8

Does anyone have any experience playing Fruit v2.2 vs Fritz 8? I purchased
the Fruit 2.2 engine the other day and played two games against Fritz 8.
Both games were 30/5 games. Each program played on their own laptop and
Fruit was playing on a slightly more powerful laptop. Fritz 8 killed Fruit
2.2 both times and both games Fruit played white. It was my understanding
that Fruit was the most powerful chess engine available for a single
processor computer. However, the two games I saw Fruit play against Fritz 8
would lead me to believe the Fruit is playing at no higher than maybe 2500
(assuming Fritz is rated at roughly 2700).

Old October 23rd 05, 12:00 AM
Tony M

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 12:31:46 -0400, "Amos Soma"
wrote:

Does anyone have any experience playing Fruit v2.2 vs Fritz 8? I purchased
the Fruit 2.2 engine the other day and played two games against Fritz 8.
Both games were 30/5 games. Each program played on their own laptop and
Fruit was playing on a slightly more powerful laptop. Fritz 8 killed Fruit
2.2 both times and both games Fruit played white. It was my understanding
that Fruit was the most powerful chess engine available for a single
processor computer. However, the two games I saw Fruit play against Fritz 8
would lead me to believe the Fruit is playing at no higher than maybe 2500
(assuming Fritz is rated at roughly 2700).

Two games are not enough to be statistically significant. You really
need to play hundreds or even thousands of games to be able to gauge
the true strength of a program. The tests that I've seen indicate
that Fruit 2.2 is slightly stronger than Fritz 8. For example,

http://www.husvankempen.de/nunn/rangliste.html

is a rating list that is very current with a large sample of games.

Tony
Old October 23rd 05, 08:56 AM
Junior Member

Also, are you aware of the bug in Chessbase GUI that affects Fruit 2.2 ?
If you are using the fritz 8 GUI (gui8.iup) dated Sept 2005 then it automatically swithes off Fruit's History Pruning threshold, greatly weakening the engine. You need to download the latest GUI dated October 17th 2005 from: www.fritzserver.org/updates/gui8.iup

Put the file into the directory C:\program files\chessbase\chessprogram8 and
remove the existing gui8.iup file. Then double click on IUPgrade.exe (which
should already exist in the same directory) and the GUI will update
automatically. You must make sure that your Fritz application is not running when you do this otherwise it won't work.

If you're not sure which version you already have, in fritz click on Help. then About Fritz and it will give the date.

You can now play Fruit 2.2 at full strength.

Mark
Old October 23rd 05, 11:27 AM
HD

wrote:

[...]

And using different hardware isn't the way either. Then it's better to
setup a match or tournament on one machine with ponder off.
Another issue is of course the books.

HD
Old October 23rd 05, 11:55 AM
Solomon Nuffert

Hi!

Toga II vs Fritz 8 Bilbao 11.5 - 8.5
Celeron 2000 Hash 128 Mb each, Nunn database, 2 rounds, 2'+12'

Regards
SoloMoon

"HD"

Old October 23rd 05, 06:10 PM
Angelo DePalma

I have about 100 games, at various time controls, of Shredder 7 vs. Fruit.
Fruit seems to be significantly better. I assume that Shredder 7 is stronger
than Fritz 8. Interestingly, in many of the matches Fruit lost the first
couple of games but then recovered. Not sure why though. I'll be happy to
send you a database of these games.

"Amos Soma" wrote

Old October 23rd 05, 06:44 PM
HD

?
If you are using the fritz 8 GUI (gui8.iup) dated Sept 2005 then it
automatically swithes off Fruit's History Pruning threshold, greatly
weakening the engine. You need to download the latest GUI dated
October 17th 2005 from: www.fritzserver.org/updates/gui8.iup

Put the file into the directory C:\program
files\chessbase\chessprogram8 and
remove the existing gui8.iup file. Then double click on IUPgrade.exe
(which
should already exist in the same directory) and the GUI will update
automatically. You must make sure that your Fritz application is not
running when you do this otherwise it won't work.

If you're not sure which version you already have, in fritz click on
Help. then About Fritz and it will give the date.

You can now play Fruit 2.2 at full strength.

Mark

The problem only occurs if you've been _in_ the parameters and then
confirmed them - changed/unchanged - with 'ok'.
BTW: Most people havent got the GUI-test version with that bug

HD
Old October 23rd 05, 06:49 PM
HD

Solomon Nuffert wrote:
Hi!

Toga II vs Fritz 8 Bilbao 11.5 - 8.5
Celeron 2000 Hash 128 Mb each, Nunn database, 2 rounds, 2'+12'

Regards
SoloMoon

No surprising! More games is better, and when testsets is used, you
could try various TC's. And more engines.

BTW: When I mention different hardware, of course I don't refer to two
identical comps, which is great.

HD

"HD"