Old October 27th 05, 05:35 AM

Default DGT Board position setup?

What is the procedure for setting up a position on the DGT Board with
the Black pieces on the bottom (i.e., where the white pieces would
traditionally be)? I'm not referring the position at the start of a
regular game. I am referring to setting up book diagram positions with
the black pieces moving up the board. I requested help three times
from he jerks at DGT and they didn't respond. I guess once they have
collected $650 for the board, you are out of luck. Any help would be
appreciated.

Old October 27th 05, 08:50 AM
Alexander Wagner

On 2005-10-27, wrote:

Hi!

What is the procedure for setting up a position on the DGT Board with
the Black pieces on the bottom (i.e., where the white pieces would
traditionally be)? I'm not referring the position at the start of a
regular game. I am referring to setting up book diagram positions with
the black pieces moving up the board. I requested help three times
from he jerks at DGT and they didn't respond. I guess once they have
collected $650 for the board, you are out of luck. Any help would be
appreciated.

Depends a on your Chess Program. Normally the DGT-DLL
just sends the board position to the program and it should
read it in correctly an not really care about where the
black pieces are, or you have a switch to tell it the
interface, how your setup is. This should be all mentioned
not in the documentation of DGT but of your Chess GUI. DGT
itself does not know a thing about the GUI you use, and in
fact you can use whatever you like here. Though I once had a
look at the chessbase stuff (Fritz) and there it worked
seemlessly. Arena worked well but there was some issue if I
remember correctly, that one had to tell the interface this
or that. (But as I don't have Windows at all... well.)

But this is in the Windows-World, and well, in a world
without borders and walls, who needs Gates and Windows

So, if your're using crafty, suppose on Linux, where you can
really nicely interface with the DGT, you pass it as an
argument to the dgt-startup-command. For a normal starupt
within the engine you would issue

dgt /dev/dgt lw

and on the "reverse" setup you issue

dgt /dev/dgt rw

followed by

reset
set
update

The l specifies the location of the connector viewed from
the white side, so it's in one setup on the _l_eft, in the
other on the _r_ight.

Here I guess you noticed to build the dgt-driver (actually a
separate program) as you're allready able to speak to your
DGT. (The makefile is a bit nasty in that part, and the
documentation of crafty unfortunately RTFS So I put up a
webpage about how to use the DGT on Linux with crafty:
http://theorie.physik.uni-wuerzburg.de/~arwagner/chess/

--

Kind regards,
Alexander Wagner