Old October 30th 05, 01:31 AM
BOZO

Default Frizt,Shredder, Chessmaster, at el; Best?

With a limited income I can only afford to buy one computer chess
game. Which one would you recommend that would help a beginner, but
also be a great opponent as one progresses?

Thanks,
Bozo
Old October 30th 05, 07:26 AM
The Man Behind The Curtain

BOZO wrote:
With a limited income I can only afford to buy one computer chess
game. Which one would you recommend that would help a beginner, but
also be a great opponent as one progresses?

Thanks,
Bozo

My standard answer is I enjoy Chessmaster the most for its gallery of
player personalities and the Waitzkin games and other tutorials, so if
you're a beginner that sounds like the way to go. At the same time, the
program's way of doing analysis is weak and the format to read it isn't
very convenient, IMHO, so for my analysis and saving a record of my
games I transfer the files to one of the Chessbase programs--Fritz or
Hiarcs (which I like even more than Fritz). If you at all can, try to
get both a Chessbase program *and* Chessmaster. You can get a cheap
copy of CM9000 on eBay these days, and it's almost as good as the 10th
edition. And Fritz or Hiarcs isn't all that expensive either. Again,
some sites may have the last versions of each (Fritz 8 and Hiarcs 8)
pretty cheap.

John

Old October 30th 05, 01:49 PM
cmcanulty

Try this older Fritz, free and very good.
http://copoechecs.free.fr/soft/

Old October 30th 05, 07:08 PM
The Man Behind The Curtain

Jerry Creed wrote:
Why do you like Hiarcs?

Well, take this with a grain of salt, because I'm not Garry Kasparov,
but to me it plays more subtly. Fritz is this attacking machine, the
Jaws of the chess world, but Hiarcs plays quiet moves like a wise old
grandmaster with a silver beard, smoking a pipe. I often have both
evaluate the same positions for me, and it's amazing how often they come
up with completely different moves, and give completely different
numerical evaluations of a position. (One might say 1.00 while the
other will say -0.22 or something!) I find I most often agree with
Hiarcs' view of the chessboard.

Often Hiarcs will make a very quiet move that I don't otherwise see
computers make. It's very positional. Fritz goes in for the kill right
away. It's more "mechanical." I like both, of course, but sometimes
Hiarcs really astounds me.

John

Old October 30th 05, 10:44 PM
Jerry Creed

This is what I've heard. I had Hiarcs about 10 years ago when I first got
into chess. It totally killed me and I had no clue. The program is
obviously different now; improved, expanded, real legit and I'm a point or
two better.

Thanks for the reminder in your reply to BOZO

Jerry

Old October 31st 05, 08:02 AM
muppet0830

Why pay? Think free! The free chess engines are good and only a little
weaker than commercial versions.

Right now Fruit 2.2.1 (the commercial version) is beating everything
including Fritz 9 and Shredder 9! But the prior version Fruit 2.1 is free
and only a little weaker, or you can use a variation called Toga II 1.0
[Pascal] which is somewhat stronger and also free.

Fruit and Toga are UCI engines, so you'll also need a UCI graphic user
interface (GUI) from somewhere, and there are several good free ones such as
Arena. Or any of the later Chessbase GUI's support UCI protocol, and of
course Shredder Classic is a good UCI interface too.

Crafty is also good free chess software.
--
muppet0830

Old October 31st 05, 05:40 PM
The Man Behind The Curtain

Jerry Creed wrote:
I ordered it.

That was wrong. Very wrong. That authorities are coming.

John