Old October 31st 05, 02:14 PM
Lloyd Uhler

Default Square Control Visualization

See:

Chess Mover & Chess Diagram Software
(https://www.storesonline.com/site/chessmover)

This site has a new Chess Mover that shows color-coded square control. A
piece pinned to
the King will loose control. Now you can see which side has better square
control.

Check this revolutionary product out!

Old November 3rd 05, 09:14 AM
David Richerby

Lloyd Uhler wrote:
Chess Mover & Chess Diagram Software
(https://www.storesonline.com/site/chessmover)

This site has a new Chess Mover that shows color-coded square control. A
piece pinned to the King will loose control. Now you can see which side
has better square control.

Have you remembered that a piece pinned to my king can still prevent your
king from moving? For example:

White: Ka1 Na2
Black: Kb5 Ra8

Neither side really controls b4 as neither side can move there.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Homicidal Beer (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ refreshing lager but it wants to
Old November 4th 05, 05:06 PM
David Richerby

Lloyd Uhler wrote:
This site has a new Chess Mover that shows color-coded square control.

I've just mailed the following to Lloyd:

``Having looked at the web page for your software, it seems to me that you
misunderstand the concept of `control of a square'. In the example
position, you claim that Black controls h6 but he does not. He merely
occupies the square (has a piece on it) but he does not control it because
it is not protected.

``Also, White has a huge amount of control over b5 in this position: it is
covered by a pawn, two rooks and a knight. Black has a bishop on b5 so
White should have three units of control. Your software only gives White
one unit.''

Dave.

--
David Richerby Chocolate Sword (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ razor-sharp blade that's made of