Old November 3rd 05, 04:20 PM
Will Kemp

Default Best Opening Book Editor

I have used Fritz6 for several years now and have been very happy with it
except for the opening book editor. Can anyone tell me if the new version
of Fritz is any better?

My chief complaint with the old version is that the weights don't work. For
example, I'd like to practice against the various Sicilians. I'd like to
spar against the engine where the engine plays 30% Najdorf, 25% Sveshnikov,
10% Classical, 10% Dragon, and once every 50 games I'd like to see the
O'Kelly, just so I can refresh my memory of those lines from time to time.
The Fritz6 weights simply do not work consistently.

Another complaint is that the book editor is not at all intuitive. The
import games, weight resets and all that are buggy. If you don't have the
results set consistenly for all your games (either 1-0 or LINE, for
example), then some of the games don't get imported.

I've tried Chessmaster, too, but it's too difficult to edit the tree. I can
do some modification of an existing book, but I don't see how to add a line.
Besides, I hate using CM. It's slow, and the analysis interface is
terrible.

Bookup is okay, but it too is slow, and I don't think you can weight it.
Sometimes the randomizer gets stuck and it plays the Najdorf 99 times
straight. It's not easy to add individual lines, either, you have to import
a .pgn. And it's not easy to navigate the tree, seeing various lines at a
glance.

So, is does Fritz 9 have an improved opening book editor? How about one of
the other chessbase programs?

Thanks

Old November 4th 05, 06:02 AM
Chet Marino

I don't ever remember Bookup being slow.
I's true you need to import a bunch of games to create a book to start
working with.

Old November 4th 05, 10:28 AM
Ruud

"Will Kemp" schreef in bericht
I have used Fritz6 for several years now and have been very happy with it
except for the opening book editor. Can anyone tell me if the new version
of Fritz is any better?

My chief complaint with the old version is that the weights don't work.
For example, I'd like to practice against the various Sicilians. I'd like
to spar against the engine where the engine plays 30% Najdorf, 25%
Sveshnikov, 10% Classical, 10% Dragon, and once every 50 games I'd like
to see the O'Kelly, just so I can refresh my memory of those lines from
time to time. The Fritz6 weights simply do not work consistently.

Can't you simply stop the book learning in the book menu and use the
openingbook built of games in those exact %'s. Then it won't use weights
and will choose at random.

Thanks

Old November 4th 05, 05:48 PM
Will Kemp

"Chet Marino" wrote in message
news
I don't ever remember Bookup being slow.
I's true you need to import a bunch of games to create a book to start
working with.

Probably just me. Thanks.

Old November 4th 05, 05:48 PM
Will Kemp

Can't you simply stop the book learning in the book menu and use the
openingbook built of games in those exact %'s. Then it won't use weights
and will choose at random.

Yes, I suppose I can try that. Thanks.

Old November 4th 05, 06:10 PM
Mike Leahy

"Chet Marino" wrote in message
news
I don't ever remember Bookup being slow.
I's true you need to import a bunch of games to create a book to start
working with.

Occasionally someone will turn on "Database Safety" and then import some PGN
games. Now that is slow. They usually call or email me and I figure it
out fairly quickly.

Mike Leahy
"The Database Man!"
www.bookup.com