Old September 25th 03, 07:21 PM
CeeBee

Default How do I add engines to Chessbase 8?

"David Riley" wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

The manual doesn't seem to answer this question. They only tell you
about engine management stuff, etc. I want to know where I actually
put the engines in order for Chessbase to be able to use them. In
fritz it is as simple as putting them in the engines folder. Any
help would be much appreciated

The latetst batch of ChessBase programs tries to circvument all kinds of
different directories, and puts the GUI in the "Chessprogram8"
subdirectory, while putting all engines in the "engines" subdirectory on
the same directory level. So that's the place to put them into.

The helpfile of CB8 does tell you something about it, but still uses
some old conventions.:

quote
Installed Engines
ChessBase shares a common directory for chess playing engines with
programs like Fritz, Junior, Hiarcs and Nimzo. This directory lies
parallel to the program directories. Examples:

C:\Program files\ChessBase\ChessBase 8.0
C:\Program files\ChessBase\Fritz6
C:\Program files\ChessBase\Nimzo8
C:\Program files\ChessBase\Engines

When you install new ChessBase programs the engines are automatically
put into the Engines directory.
/quote

At http://www.chessbase.com/download/index.asp?cat=Engines you can also
see some instructions about adding engines.

This is all for native chessbase engines. Remember ChessBase can't use
UCI engines or winboard engines directly, and sometimes installing them
with the help of adapters might need additional measures.

Good luck.

--
CeeBee

Uxbridge: "By God, sir, I've lost my leg!"
Wellington: "By God, sir, so you have!"

Google CeeBee @ www.geocities.com/ceebee_2