Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old December 3rd 03, 01:12 AM
Keith Boone
 
Posts: n/a
Default How to use Palm Pilot & Chess Tiger to practice tactics?

I just purchased Chess Tiger 15 for the Palm a few days ago,
and I think it's great. Now I would like to find a way to
practice tactics using the palm and/or Chess Tiger. Can
anyone recommend a way to load up a bunch of tactics problems
on the Palm Pilot?

I did find a .pgn file with all the problems from '1001 Chess
Sacrifices and Combinations', but I have to paste each position
one at a time into a memo, and then load that into the Palm.
It would be nice if there is a better way. Is there any software
specifically for this purpose?

  #2   Report Post  
Old December 3rd 03, 12:31 PM
henri Arsenault
 
Posts: n/a
Default How to use Palm Pilot & Chess Tiger to practice tactics?

In article
. rogers.com,
Keith Boone wrote:

I just purchased Chess Tiger 15 for the Palm a few days ago,
and I think it's great. Now I would like to find a way to
practice tactics using the palm and/or Chess Tiger. Can
anyone recommend a way to load up a bunch of tactics problems
on the Palm Pilot?

I did find a .pgn file with all the problems from '1001 Chess
Sacrifices and Combinations', but I have to paste each position
one at a time into a memo, and then load that into the Palm.
It would be nice if there is a better way. Is there any software
specifically for this purpose?


If you have a pgn file, you can hotsync it into your Palm memo, or
paste it into the desktop memo. Tiger can then simply load it.If you
have difficulty with the formatting, save a Tiger game into the memo and
check out how the header is written in the memo.

Henri
  #3   Report Post  
Old December 3rd 03, 06:04 PM
Joe Nasal
 
Posts: n/a
Default How to use Palm Pilot & Chess Tiger to practice tactics?

At one point there was a project to convert Polgar's 5334 Chess book to pgn.
There is some information about the project he

http://tibetiantick.port5.com/polgar/faq.html

Don't know what has become of this project. I own a copy of the book,
though, and I have all 5334 positions in pgn notation as a text file. If
you purchase a copy of the book, with some diligent Internet searching you
too may find a copy of this file for your (legal) use.

The new version of Chess Tiger places no limit on the number of games you
may store in the Palm's Memopad database -- the previous version was limited
to something like 200 games.

So, if you have legal rights to this material, you can spend some hours
cutting and pasting each of the 5334 positions into your Memopad database
via the Palm desktop. Or, you can do as I have done and write a program to
build the memo.pdb via the p5-Palm perl library:

http://search.cpan.org/~arensb/p5-Palm-1.3.0/

Once you've got the database assembled, have CT play opposite you in each of
these exercises, or have it play your move if you get stuck. Awesome.

Joe

"Keith Boone" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
I just purchased Chess Tiger 15 for the Palm a few days ago,
and I think it's great. Now I would like to find a way to
practice tactics using the palm and/or Chess Tiger. Can
anyone recommend a way to load up a bunch of tactics problems
on the Palm Pilot?

I did find a .pgn file with all the problems from '1001 Chess
Sacrifices and Combinations', but I have to paste each position
one at a time into a memo, and then load that into the Palm.
It would be nice if there is a better way. Is there any software
specifically for this purpose?



  #4   Report Post  
Old December 3rd 03, 11:59 PM
Keith Boone
 
Posts: n/a
Default How to use Palm Pilot & Chess Tiger to practice tactics?

Joe Nasal wrote:


So, if you have legal rights to this material, you can spend some hours
cutting and pasting each of the 5334 positions into your Memopad database
via the Palm desktop. Or, you can do as I have done and write a program to
build the memo.pdb via the p5-Palm perl library:

http://search.cpan.org/~arensb/p5-Palm-1.3.0/

Once you've got the database assembled, have CT play opposite you in each of
these exercises, or have it play your move if you get stuck. Awesome.

Well I don't own the Polgar book, but I do own the Reinfeld "1001"
book. I guess what I'm trying to avoid is cutting and pasting the
individual positions into memopad one by one. Sounds like the perl
script you wrote is the answer! Any chance you would be willing to
share your script? Thanks.

  #5   Report Post  
Old December 6th 03, 01:57 AM
HAL
 
Posts: n/a
Default How to use Palm Pilot & Chess Tiger to practice tactics?




  #6   Report Post  
Old December 6th 03, 05:47 PM
Keith Boone
 
Posts: n/a
Default How to use Palm Pilot & Chess Tiger to practice tactics?

HAL wrote:


Can you expand upon this a little? :-)

  #7   Report Post  
Old December 6th 03, 11:20 PM
Metastabl
 
Posts: n/a
Default How to use Palm Pilot & Chess Tiger to practice tactics?

"Joe Nasal" wrote in message ...


So, if you have legal rights to this material, you can spend some hours
cutting and pasting each of the 5334 positions into your Memopad database
via the Palm desktop. Or, you can do as I have done and write a program to
build the memo.pdb via the p5-Palm perl library:

http://search.cpan.org/~arensb/p5-Palm-1.3.0/

Once you've got the database assembled, have CT play opposite you in each of
these exercises, or have it play your move if you get stuck. Awesome.


Interesting idea. Another way that I just tried is to use the import
feature of Palm desktop. You can write a really simple awk or perl
script to reformat the pgn data into a tab delimited format that can
be imported. It does take a while to sync after the import.

Too bad that there's not a tactical quiz feature in Chess Tiger.
Wouldn't it be nice if it could sequence through a bunch of positions
automatically and have it keep track of which ones you missed, then
return to those after a while? It would be a lot easier than having to
manually load positions.

I guess that porting the Tiger engine to Arm has higher priority than
features like this since Chess Genius just introduced a native Arm
engine.

-Keith
  #8   Report Post  
Old December 7th 03, 03:08 AM
Keith Boone
 
Posts: n/a
Default How to use Palm Pilot & Chess Tiger to practice tactics?

Metastabl wrote:
"Joe Nasal" wrote in message ...


So, if you have legal rights to this material, you can spend some hours
cutting and pasting each of the 5334 positions into your Memopad database
via the Palm desktop. Or, you can do as I have done and write a program to
build the memo.pdb via the p5-Palm perl library:

http://search.cpan.org/~arensb/p5-Palm-1.3.0/

Once you've got the database assembled, have CT play opposite you in each of
these exercises, or have it play your move if you get stuck. Awesome.



Interesting idea. Another way that I just tried is to use the import
feature of Palm desktop. You can write a really simple awk or perl
script to reformat the pgn data into a tab delimited format that can
be imported. It does take a while to sync after the import.

Could you please post the perl script? Thanks!

  #9   Report Post  
Old December 7th 03, 06:53 PM
Metastabl
 
Posts: n/a
Default How to use Palm Pilot & Chess Tiger to practice tactics?

Keith Boone wrote in message le.rogers.com...
Metastabl wrote:

snip
Interesting idea. Another way that I just tried is to use the import
feature of Palm desktop. You can write a really simple awk or perl
script to reformat the pgn data into a tab delimited format that can
be imported. It does take a while to sync after the import.

Could you please post the perl script? Thanks!


After playing around a bit, I recommend _not_ loading in too many
puzzles at once. Some things become painfully slow.

Here's an AWK script for what it's worth:

# Really simple AWK script to turn PGN's containing puzzles into a
file
# which can be imported into Palm desktop. This is used to create a
# bunch of memos that Chess Tiger can load as positions
#
# Example usage:
# awk -f epd2memo.awk WCSAC.pgn WCSAC.txt
#
# Version 0.01
#
# To do:
# Could pass starting and engine puzzle #'s via the command line,
# or automatically create multiple output files of N records each
#
BEGIN {
# Stuff that the user should change

# Which puzzles to convert - don't do too many at once
#
StartPuzzle = 1
EndPuzzle = 100

# Information that gets put in the memos
#
Title = "wcsac"
Time = "11:00 AM"
Date = "December 7, 2003"
Modified = "December 7, 2003"
Category_1 = "Chess"
Category_2 = ""
Private = "Not Private"

# Character used to end a memo - may be platform dependent
#
LineEnding = "\r"

# Don't change after this line
#
line = 1
}

/^\[FEN/ {
if ((line = StartPuzzle) && (line = EndPuzzle)) {
# Strip off things that Chess Tiger doesn't understand
#
gsub(/\[FEN \"/,"")
gsub(/ 0 1\"\].*/,"")

string = $0 "\t" Time "\t" Date "\t" Modified "\t"
Category_1 "\t" Category_2 "\t" Private LineEnding
printf("(%s%04d.epd)\t%s", Title, line, string)
line = line + 1
}
}
  #10   Report Post  
Old December 7th 03, 08:16 PM
Steve Murphy
 
Posts: n/a
Default How to use Palm Pilot & Chess Tiger to practice tactics?

Interesting idea. Another way that I just tried is to use the import
feature of Palm desktop. You can write a really simple awk or perl
script to reformat the pgn data into a tab delimited format that can
be imported. It does take a while to sync after the import.

Could you please post the perl script? Thanks!


I saw this post a couple of days ago and have been playing around with
a solution without programming a script. Here is the solution I found
and it avoids a lot of copying and pasting:

1. Use a DOS utility called PGNMAN (search on the web for it, not too
hard to find) to split the PGN files out into individual files. The
Command line instruction to do this is:

pgnman -b originating_file_path\filename.pbn target_file_path 1

The one (1) at the end of the Command string indicates one PGN game
per file.


2. Change the extension of all the resulting files from .pgn to .txt
with the following command:

ren *.pgn *.txt


3. Beam (using my laptop which has an IR port) the files from the
computer to the Palm device. You can beam using Windows 2000 and
Windows XP and the .txt files are automatically converted to Palm
memos (one memo for each PGN game).

I know it sounds difficult, but it is actually very quick once you get
the hang of it and it sure beats copying and pasting into the Palm
Desktop application to upload to the Palm device.

I hope this helps.
Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 ChessBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Chess"

 

Copyright © 2017