Old December 11th 03, 11:34 AM
Chuck in Minot

Default Crafy installation for those who still don't get it.

I see so much about Crafy, and enjoy how the good doctor takes time to post
here about his program, but I have to admit that try as I must after reading
some of the installation guides, they were beyond my understanding.

I would dearly love to join the crowd of Crafty users, but at this point I
still don't quite understand how to install it.

I run Windows 98SE, and was wondering if there was a simply to the point FAQ
guide or Link for simple folks like me that would guide me through the
installation process?

Thank you
Chuck

Old December 11th 03, 12:51 PM
Justin Sané

Default Crafty installation for those who still don't get it.

I have installed an older version of Crafty on W98,
so here goes:

My Installation Directories:
1. C:\Program Files\Crafty\crafty files
Note: The files a
crafty1903b.exe (Dann Corbit version)
books.bin
bookc.bin
book.bin (~13MB)
you will end up with book.lrn and position.lrn
after playing a game (if I recall correctly)

2. C:\Program Files\WinBoard\winboard files
Note: Use WinBoard 4.2.6 (someone posted
to FICS saying that 4.2.7 had some timeseal
problems)

Modificiations:
3. Edit winboard.ini in a text editor and change the
section:
/firstChessProgramNames={GNUChess
"Crafty1903b xboard" /fd="c:\Program Files\\Crafty"

Note:
Some (advanced users) also have a crafty.rc file in
their Crafty directory for managing some technical
specs like hash table sizes, using an opening book,
etc. I am not that far yet.

Hopefully I did not leave off anything.

Justin

Old December 11th 03, 02:09 PM
CiccioSPICE

"Chuck in Minot" ha scritto in
che:

Hi Chuck,
I can try to give you some help; I don't know what GUI you use but Crafty
can run under Arena, Winboard and Fritz or other chessbase UI.

If you use Fritz you have only to download .eng file from chessbase site
and copy it into engine directory: you'll find Crafty in engine list.

If you use Arena copy Crafty.exe into a directory and follow installation
wizard selecting WB2 protocol.

If you use winboard:

1) Create a subdirectory of winboard such as Crafty1906
2) Copy in this directory book file(book*.bin)
3) Create a subdirectory of winboard/crafty1906 such as Tb
4) Copy in Tb your tablebase
5) Create a file called craft.rc
6) Open the crafty.rc file and write:

log=off
cache=16M
flag off
hash=92M
hashp=16M
learn 7
book on
ponder on
resign 6
egtb
whisper 1
kibitz 1

7) Save this file in the same directory of crafty executable. (These are my
params; if you want know more about it read crafty faq in Hyatt ftp site)

8) Open winboard.ini
9) Find the string: /firstChessProgramNames={
10) Add the string: "crafty1906 log=off"
/fd=C:\PROGRAMMI\WINBOARD\CRAFTY_19_03

where crafty1906 is name of crafty executable and
C:\PROGRAMMI\WINBOARD\CRAFTY_19_03 is the directory where you have saved
it.
11) Find the string: /secondChessProgramNames={
12) Add the string: "crafty1906 log=off"
/sd=C:\PROGRAMMI\WINBOARD\CRAFTY_19_03

13) Launch Winboard from "Winboard Starup Dialog", select Crafty string you
have typed and play

I hope you'll solve your problem.

--
Regards