Old December 11th 03, 06:57 PM
Chuck in Minot

Default Overview of chess ratings

I looking for an explanation of chess ratings.
Just basic info to define novice, expert, IM, and GM
and so forth. Putting together some info to perhaps
form a chess club.

Thanks

Old December 12th 03, 12:48 AM
CeeBee

"Chuck in Minot" wrote in rec.games.chess.computer:

I looking for an explanation of chess ratings.
Just basic info to define novice, expert, IM, and GM
and so forth. Putting together some info to perhaps
form a chess club.

Ratings are not interchangable with titles.
http://www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=B01
about title norms.

http://www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=B0210
tells you how the rating system works.

This is all FIDE ratings, basically starting at 2000, and not the same as
USCF ratings.
A lot of people use the USCF classification for indication of strenght.
http://www.uschess.org/ratings/info/lifetime.html

--
CeeBee

"I am not a crook"