Old December 11th 03, 07:21 PM
Marco

Default Questions about Fritz 8 (sparring & friend)

When you play against Fritz 8 in "sparring" mode, does Fritz
play at its maximum strength apart from the mistakes it will
deliberately make once in a while?
Also, how do you convert the "handicap" level in the "friend"
mode to Elo?
Thanks,

Marco

Old December 12th 03, 09:34 AM
David Richerby

Marco wrote:
When you play against Fritz 8 in "sparring" mode, does Fritz
play at its maximum strength apart from the mistakes it will
deliberately make once in a while?

Not sure.

Also, how do you convert the "handicap" level in the "friend"
mode to Elo?

You could try to come up witha formula but I'm not sure it would be
worthwhile. Friend mode is so un-humanlike (it basically plays like
a grandmaster and then blunders material to even up the score) that
there's little point in comparing its strnegth to a human.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Slimy Postman (TM): it's like a man
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ who delivers the mail but it's covered
Old December 12th 03, 02:47 PM
Charley Moore

"Marco" wrote:

When you play against Fritz 8 in "sparring" mode, does Fritz
play at its maximum strength apart from the mistakes it will
deliberately make once in a while?
Also, how do you convert the "handicap" level in the "friend"
mode to Elo?
Thanks,

Marco

Fritz 8 is a super program in many ways but dumbing down is not its strong
suit. Chessmaster 9000 does this more effectively.

Regards Charley
Old December 12th 03, 03:00 PM
Marco

"David Richerby" wrote in message

You could try to come up witha formula but I'm not sure it would be
worthwhile. Friend mode is so un-humanlike (it basically plays like
a grandmaster and then blunders material to even up the score) that
there's little point in comparing its strnegth to a human.

Are you sure you're not getting mixed up with sparring? That's
when Fritz plays at grandmaster level but makes a deliberate
mistake every now and then (like human players do sometimes).

Marco

Old December 12th 03, 03:44 PM
Marco

"Charley Moore" m
wrote in message

Fritz 8 is a super program in many ways but dumbing down is not its strong
suit. Chessmaster 9000 does this more effectively.

You're probably right, but on the other hand Fritz is the only
program (to my knowledge) which offers something like sparring.
Also, I find that Chessmaster's various personalities
irritatingly take ages to move in the beginning (even in reply
to something as simple as 1 e2-e4 can get them thinking for
one or two minutes), then take less and less time as the game
goes on. This never happens with Fritz 8.

Marco

Old December 12th 03, 04:19 PM
David Richerby

Marco wrote:
"David Richerby" wrote;
You could try to come up with a formula but I'm not sure it would be
worthwhile. Friend mode is so un-humanlike (it basically plays like
a grandmaster and then blunders material to even up the score) that
there's little point in comparing its strnegth to a human.

Are you sure you're not getting mixed up with sparring? That's
when Fritz plays at grandmaster level but makes a deliberate
mistake every now and then (like human players do sometimes).

Sparring mode makes moves that are mistakes in the sense that they can be
punished by a good reply (some kind of tactical trick). Friend mode
notices that it's winning by too much and leaves a bishop hanging to even
things up a bit.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Impossible Happy T-Shirt (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like a fashion statement that makes
Old December 12th 03, 10:17 PM
Charley Moore

"Marco" wrote:

"Charley Moore" m
wrote in message

Fritz 8 is a super program in many ways but dumbing down is not its strong
suit. Chessmaster 9000 does this more effectively.

You're probably right, but on the other hand Fritz is the only
program (to my knowledge) which offers something like sparring.
Also, I find that Chessmaster's various personalities
irritatingly take ages to move in the beginning (even in reply
to something as simple as 1 e2-e4 can get them thinking for
one or two minutes), then take less and less time as the game
goes on. This never happens with Fritz 8.

Marco

If you choose a personality that does not use an opening book then this
will happen. To avoid this either choose one that does use a book or give a
book to one that does not usually have one. You can of course choose a
strong or weak book.

Regards Charley