Old December 13th 03, 07:02 AM
Frank Hablizel

Default Position with the greatest number of legal moves?

Hi at all,
in the starting position the white player has 20 move possibilities.
But which position is the position with the most legal moves and how many
moves are this?
I have read in the internet, that the moves are over 200 but I have forgot
the side.

Thanks in advance,

Frank

Old December 13th 03, 03:01 PM
NoKetch

Hi at all,
in the starting position the white player has 20 move possibilities.
But which position is the position with the most legal moves and how many
moves are this?
I have read in the internet, that the moves are over 200 but I have forgot
the side.

Thanks in advance,

Frank

I think this position has the most legal moves (218).

3Q4/1Q4Q1/4Q3/2Q4R/Q4Q2/3Q4/1Q4Rp/1K1BBNNk w - - 0 1

Dave

Old December 13th 03, 03:08 PM
Joost de Heer

I think this position has the most legal moves (218).

3Q4/1Q4Q1/4Q3/2Q4R/Q4Q2/3Q4/1Q4Rp/1K1BBNNk w - - 0 1

If you abandon legality, the following position has 288 moves:

BQQQQQQB/Q6Q/Q6Q/Q6Q/Q6Q/Q6Q/Q6Q/BQQQQQQB w - - 0 1

Joost
--
Du hast mein Herz zerrissen, meine Seele geraubt
Das es so enden würde hätt` ich nie geglaubt [Aus der Ruinen -]
Old December 13th 03, 04:22 PM
Mark Houlsby

"Frank Hablizel" wrote in message ...
Hi at all,
in the starting position the white player has 20 move possibilities.
But which position is the position with the most legal moves and how many
moves are this?
I have read in the internet, that the moves are over 200 but I have forgot
the side.

Thanks in advance,

Frank

Perhaps this is what you mean:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?O1EB25CC6

Mark

Old December 13th 03, 05:38 PM
George

"Frank Hablizel" wrote in message ...
Hi at all,
in the starting position the white player has 20 move possibilities.
But which position is the position with the most legal moves and how many
moves are this?
I have read in the internet, that the moves are over 200 but I have forgot
the side.

In this position: R6R/3Q4/1Q4Q1/4Q3/2Q4Q/Q4Q2/pp1Q4/kBNN1KB1 w - - 0
1
the possible moves for White is 218. I don't know a position with more
valid moves for White. And i doubt anyone else knows

But the interesting part would be, to prove that a position (this or
another)
has the most valid moves for White and what's the number. I'll try at
night to find something on this. I suspect that the position must be
symmetrical but perhaps i'm wrong.
Old December 13th 03, 06:03 PM
Joost de Heer

It has illegal number of possible queens.

Oh gee, I hadn't noticed yet.

Joost

PS:

If you abandon legality, the following position has 288 moves:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old December 13th 03, 06:59 PM
mdamien

"George" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Pretty impressive. I threw the position into CB light, and the program
crashed.

Matt

Old December 13th 03, 07:24 PM
Kevin Heider

On 13 Dec 2003 15:01:07 GMT, (NoKetch) wrote:

I think this position has the most legal moves (218).

3Q4/1Q4Q1/4Q3/2Q4R/Q4Q2/3Q4/1Q4Rp/1K1BBNNk w - - 0 1
Dave

The biggest Number of simultaneous possible legal Moves (218)

http://www.rescon.de/Compu/schachzahl2_e.html

-- Kevin Heider
(to e-mail: put attbi.com after my username)
Old December 13th 03, 09:44 PM
George

Joost de Heer wrote in message ...
I think this position has the most legal moves (218).

3Q4/1Q4Q1/4Q3/2Q4R/Q4Q2/3Q4/1Q4Rp/1K1BBNNk w - - 0 1

If you abandon legality, the following position has 288 moves:

BQQQQQQB/Q6Q/Q6Q/Q6Q/Q6Q/Q6Q/Q6Q/BQQQQQQB w - - 0 1

Joost

I didn't count them, but i think this has even mo

BQqQqQqB/q6Q/Q6q/q6Q/Q6q/q6Q/Q6q/BqQqQqQB b - - 0 1