Old December 14th 03, 10:59 PM
Michael Loggel

Default New Description: Compile Crafty chess with gcc under windows - Simple! - 1 attachment

Cook Book: Compile Crafty Chess Engine with gcc under Windows

Using Dev-C++ version 5 beta (4.9.8.5) that includes gcc/g++ 3.2

(Tested with crafty 19.2 and 19.6)

-- Now you can read everything he

http://members.fortunecity.de/loggel/crafty/index.html

Enjoy!

Michael

--
No Spam:
For sending e-mail to me, write "wir_sinds" instead of "xyz.abc".
Old December 15th 03, 05:13 PM
Derek Wildstar

"Michael Loggel" wrote in message
6...
Hello,

please find attached everything you need!

Short description is here, bat file and makefile is attached:

It works!

I tried these instructions with Crafty 19.7 (and 19.6), and while the .bat
file method did not work, the process terminated gracefully without the file
output...the manual method, with optimizations did.

The instructions are not perfect, you can perhpas tell the author's native
language is not english, but they were good enough, and more importantly,
included everything necessary to get crafty up and running for a Windows
platform.

Thank you very much for this thankless assistance!

Old December 15th 03, 08:55 PM
Michael Loggel

please find attached everything you need!

Short description is here, bat file and makefile is attached:

It works!

I tried these instructions with Crafty 19.7 (and 19.6), and while the
.bat file method did not work, the process terminated gracefully
without the file output...the manual method, with optimizations did.

....hmmmh, in the zip-file of this link ...

http://members.fortunecity.de/loggel/crafty/index.html

....you find a slightly modified .bat file and makefile. With that one it
should work.

Would you mind giving it a try again and giving me a feedback?

If again an error occors, can you tell me what is the error mesage?

Michael

Old December 16th 03, 01:47 AM
Michael Loggel

...hmmmh, in the zip-file of this link ...

http://members.fortunecity.de/loggel/crafty/index.html

...you find a slightly modified .bat file and makefile. With that one it
should work.

I have just updated the site!

With version 19.7 of Crafty, there is a problem with the X86.s file!
The preceding underscores have been removed compared to the "X86.s" of
version 19.6, and as a result the linking fails!

On above link, you get an extremely convienient and quick way to get Crafty
19.7 compiled with gcc under windows successfully (it contains an adapted
X86.s), by just clicking a .bat file from the explorer.

Enjoy!

Michael

Old December 16th 03, 04:37 AM
Derek Wildstar

"Michael Loggel" wrote in message
6...
...hmmmh, in the zip-file of this link ...

http://members.fortunecity.de/loggel/crafty/index.html

...you find a slightly modified .bat file and makefile. With that one it
should work.

I have just updated the site!

With version 19.7 of Crafty, there is a problem with the X86.s file!
The preceding underscores have been removed compared to the "X86.s" of
version 19.6, and as a result the linking fails!

On above link, you get an extremely convienient and quick way to get

Crafty
19.7 compiled with gcc under windows successfully (it contains an adapted
X86.s), by just clicking a .bat file from the explorer.

At this time, the site is not allowing any downloads, possibly due to
bandwidth limits being exceeded, I have linked it, and will try the new
files with 19.7!

Old December 16th 03, 09:51 PM
Michael Loggel

At this time, the site is not allowing any downloads, possibly due to
bandwidth limits being exceeded, I have linked it, and will try the new
files with 19.7!

Just download the zip file, it contains everything - makefiles, the HTML
files of the web page itself, etc....

Downloading of the zip file should work!

Michael

Old December 17th 03, 05:57 PM
Derek Wildstar

"Michael Loggel" wrote in message
6...
At this time, the site is not allowing any downloads, possibly due to
bandwidth limits being exceeded, I have linked it, and will try the new
files with 19.7!

Just download the zip file, it contains everything - makefiles, the HTML
files of the web page itself, etc....

Downloading of the zip file should work!

My bad! My firewall was stripping the referral, so the download wasn't
'authorized'. All is well...now to check it out....success!

The .bat method works as intended, Now, according to the Good Dr. Hyatt,
19.8 is current! What say you?

Old December 17th 03, 07:01 PM
Peter Sch?fer

The statistics on the web page suggest that M$ Visual C++ ist the
fastest compiler for Windows. Is this right ?

Are there more detailed figures somewhere ?

-- Peter
Old December 17th 03, 10:12 PM
Michael Loggel

The statistics on the web page suggest that M$ Visual C++ ist the
fastest compiler for Windows. Is this right ?

Are there more detailed figures somewhere ?

-- Peter

It was just a guess of mine, that the version I downloaded from the web was
compiled with M$VC. I do not know what Prof Hyatt used. Maybe the Intel
Compiler...?

Anyway, my resumé from the 20% figure is a 'win' for gcc, not for M$VC:

I think the gcc being only 20% slower is not too bad. As long as you do not
want to participate in a computer world championchip, I think the gcc
compiled version is fully sufficient and anyway much stronger than almost
all human. 20% more or less - that's the same order of magnitude, and gcc is
free!

Michael

Old December 17th 03, 11:27 PM
Michael Loggel

My bad! My firewall was stripping the referral, so the download wasn't
'authorized'. All is well...now to check it out....success!

The .bat method works as intended, Now, according to the Good Dr.
Hyatt, 19.8 is current! What say you?

compiling 19.8 works in the same way as 19.7 !

--
No Spam:
For sending e-mail to me, write "wir_sinds" instead of "xyz.abc.nospam".